Brock Craig has passed on.

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kevin Midgley

Brock Craig has passed on.

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Posting here so those who were familiar with the old board's carryings on, will remember Brock Craig's words of wisdom and otherwise comments in support of fused glass.
May he rest in peace.
Gail L

Re: Brock Craig has passed on.

Post by Gail L »

I also saw on Facebook. Printed so many posts from him with glass help, before the internet exploded. May he rest in peace.
Vonon

Post by Vonon »

There were many noteable contributers in those early days and Brock's comments were always interesting. Sorry to hear of his passing.
Vonon
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Very Sorry to hear this..one of my greatest disappointments was his inability to teach a class I was supposed to take from him.He was free with his knowledge and a pioneer in glass fusing. He will be missed.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

So Jim what was the class you wanted to take from Brock? Was it one he was prevented from US travel to? You were on the board for a long enough time to 'know everything" weren't you? Perhaps the collective memories of old time board members could help?
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Sorry to here that. It was Brock who gave my partner and me our first fusing instruction. We were the only two in the class so got lots of generously-shared individual help. He was a font of knowledge on WGB as well, as many will remember.
I am the proud owner of one of his limited edition 'Gold Pan' series bowls. Vale Brock.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Buttercup as a student of Brock's you will have learned lots. I do hope you did not learn any theories he had about pricing as his too low pricing cost him dearly. Brock's final unsaid and unspoken lesson to us all was, and so far as I know he was unable to pass this along, was to have charged more for his work. I have always made sure to do just that. I have always figured absurdly high pricing would impact sales and have found that it does but many people accept and pay if they want the works. Who would have thought $50 for a pair of earrings or $150 for a pendant was possible? If the quality is there, then it is. Treasure any pieces you have that Brock made.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

No Kevin. Pricing was never discussed. I was already supporting myself comfortably with architectural glass, properly priced, and was never tempted to lower a quote.
My only regret was that I hadn't done any fusing before we took the class with Brock so didn't come prepared with a lot of questions. On the other hand, I hadn't developed any bad habits. I already had a suitable kiln as I had prior experience with painted and fired glass, studied with Albin Elskus, another great and generous teacher no longer with us.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Kevin Midgley wrote:So Jim what was the class you wanted to take from Brock? Was it one he was prevented from US travel to? You were on the board for a long enough time to 'know everything" weren't you? Perhaps the collective memories of old time board members could help?
That Was the one, Irid on Irid with Avery at Vitrum. Miss the board, this was and is a great resource
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Agree, jim. I, too, miss very much the days when one could log on and read twenty or so new posts, look at lots of photos and there were always questions looking for answers, for which I was happy to contribute answers, If I could.

I also learned so much from other members on here. (Tried to post a sad smiley but just got code!!)
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Irid on Irid was not difficult to achieve if you had access to a sandblaster to remove the irid so that it could be fused together in places. More of a loss was the way he handled foils and his hand hammered Japanese gold foil. Imagine playing with that material now the price of gold has more than doubled. :shock:
I anyone wants to see a selection of Brock's work using the double irid and the gold foils, I'd be happy to email photos. Just private message me.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

I am sorry to hear. He was a wealth of knowledge.

Like others I miss the days of this vibrant board. You all taught me how to fuse :)

I guess video killed the radio star.

Dana W.
Annemarie Elstner

Post by Annemarie Elstner »

this is sad news indeed. Brock was one of my first glass idols back in the day. I remember finding the old board and reading every god damn post before I even dared to actually ask a question or participate in any way. I felt like i knew so many, even if they did' not know of my existence at all

Things changed and I took a private class with him and that was the start of a long friendship that lasted until he died, and i made frequent visits to him in Vancouver. He came to Norway once, and I was picking him up at the airport and no Brock, he had missed his connecting flight lol. but he got there in the end and we had a blast. I do own some of his work incl the footed bowl for those who remember that emerge piece

he was a generous funny man to his friends and he could be the opposite to others, and I will never forget his humor, irony and sarcasm.

rest in peace Brock, your're contribution to glass world was substantial and those of us lucky enough to have experienced it, will never forget
Annemarie:-)
-----------------
http://annemarieelstner.blogspot.com/