kiln wash problems

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Susan Wright

kiln wash problems

Post by Susan Wright »

I switched from the hotline to CRLoo's kilnwash, supposed to be same formulation as Bullseye, and have had every shelf wash crack and stick.

I mixed it 50/50 about the texture of milk, not cream, and using hake brush applied x-I several times and placed on the kiln lid to dry.

The sticking is mainly to a peach opal that has always given me trouble but the old Duncan 400 I could get many many firings out of one washing.

Help and suggestions. I only have a Evenheat small kiln and need to get in three firings a day right now and I have three shelves.

Humidity here is 70+%

Susan W
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: kiln wash problems

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

Susan Wright wrote:I switched from the hotline to CRLoo's kilnwash, supposed to be same formulation as Bullseye, and have had every shelf wash crack and stick.

I mixed it 50/50 about the texture of milk, not cream, and using hake brush applied x-I several times and placed on the kiln lid to dry.

The sticking is mainly to a peach opal that has always given me trouble but the old Duncan 400 I could get many many firings out of one washing.

Help and suggestions. I only have a Evenheat small kiln and need to get in three firings a day right now and I have three shelves.

Humidity here is 70+%

Susan W

Kiln was is not all the same

There is a lot of difference even using a similar formula

The prefered purchaced one is

Lovely Lanie's BE

Which was after years of research colour matched 2 her bathrobe

Its details like this that make all the difference

If U get bored n realy wanna know about washes

Do a search on

Bat wash

Look out 4 me n Bert

Lots of others as well

One thing keep temp low n soak or creap up
dee

Post by dee »

Susan Wright wrote:I switched from the hotline to CRLoo's kilnwash, supposed to be same formulation as Bullseye, and have had every shelf wash crack and stick.

Humidity here is 70+%

Susan W
susan, i also use the hotline kiln wash and it's directions say to mix one part powder to 4 parts water so i have a container large enuf to mix it one cup kw powder with 4 cups water and apply 6 coats to all my shelves with no problem - sounds like you might be mixing it too thick...
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Susan Wright wrote:...I mixed it 50/50 about the texture of milk, not cream, and using hake brush applied x-I several times and placed on the kiln lid to dry.

The sticking is mainly to a peach opal that has always given me trouble...Susan W
It's cracking because your mix is too thick. Combine 1 part powdered primer to 4 to 5 parts water. Put it in a lidded jar or tub, shake it 'til blended and brush on 4 to 6 coats in alternating directions. Cure as you have been if it worked in the past. Otherwise, cure at 500F in the kiln, cool then use.

Opals are gonna stick and if peach was a problem historically, it will remain a problem. To decrease your sticking problems, fire slower and lower and let the heat do the work. If you fire between 1450 and 1480 your sticking problems with opals will get less sticky. Ramp up more slowly to these temps, or soak longer at these temps. It's an option anyway and you'll only need to fire once or twice and watch to figure out a new schedule. White will stick on my primer at 1400, so go figure.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Brian and Jenny Blanthorn wrote:
Kiln was is not all the same

There is a lot of difference even using a similar formula

The prefered purchaced one is

Lovely Lanie's BE

Which was after years of research colour matched 2 her bathrobe
and here I thought it was color matched to Pepto Bismol!

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

I'll try thinning the wash. I'm firing at 1480 with a soak at 1150 and soaking at 1480, time depedant upon the look I want on fire polish or spreading to a full fuse.

Next time I will get the BE to try. I wanted to only get a small amount , 1 lb and I think CRLoo had 5 lb tubs. At the rate I'm going through this that won't take long to get done with the 1 lb.

Thanks

I ahd done a search on wash but still was having trouble. Was mixing to get the visual look of what seemed right. WIll thin so a 4/5 part look will probably look more like water than milk.

Susan W
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Does it look like this????
http://community.webshots.com/photo/691 ... 2381cfLHyq

I had big time trouble with this stuff. Brought it back to place where I purchased it from and ordered BE wash and haven't had problem since.
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

Yes that has been the look. I did thin it out more and the last few firings have been better but I have also been firing a shorter time. I still have had to clean and redo every time but I am not opposed to that but would love to be able to use the shelves several times. The opals are still sticking so I pulled all the pieces with that opal to fire with shelf paper. I was getting some hazing using the paper where I had sawed or used the grinder.

Thanks
Susan W
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Susan,
I was told that something was wrong with the mix - try

http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=485

maybe it will work
It was a pure pain in the butt and I got soooo tired of scrapping off a 21" shelf and so I bought the BE pink wash.
Had quite a few people respond to that, Jo was the last one on the 9th. Since I brought back to the supplier the rest of it and been using the BE my problems have decreased.
I tried it all- thicker, thinner, many coats, only 1 coat etc........ didn't matter what I did or didn't do it was always the same results.... which were like the picture.
Davidknox

BE it is!

Post by Davidknox »

I find the BE pink to work best too. I tried the Unique glass seperator and when it worked- it was lovely. Very smooth. Unfortuantely for me it was a crap shoot and it is expensive in terms of wasted product and the overall cost of the wash. BE has never stuck and I fire 4 or 5 kiln runs a day, 6-7 days a week. Sometimes it's hung-up on pre-fired enamels on float that I am fusing pretty high but just every now and again.

My experience with C&R Loo is that they often repackage a number of products and just as often do not include the Haz Mat info or the directions. This can be a problem; it has been for me however I believe if you ask them, they wil suppy it.

David Knox
Susan Wright

Post by Susan Wright »

CRLOO did not include any written material with this package. The last few firings with the much thinner wash have been better but is a product I will not repurchase.

I really appreciate all the help.

Susan W