Attaching zinc or brass channel to picture frame

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nancy Juhasz

Attaching zinc or brass channel to picture frame

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

I must be dumb as a box of rocks since I cannot figure this out but here goes. I want to make fused glass picture frames, how on earth do I either attach hanging loops to the back of the glass or attach a zinc or brass channel to the back of the glass frame so that I can use an easel back? For that matter if not using an easel back how do you hold the picture in the frame? I looked in a book that had a few patterns for fused picture frames and there were no instructions.

Thanks a bunch for any help Nanc
Nanc
vblue

Post by vblue »

I noticed that in the book "Fusing Made Easy" , it just says "adhere frame to the back." I just purchased the clear acrylic (sp) frames, centered it on back and glued using E6000.

A simple way, but very casual look, would be to fuse two wire loops between the top pieces (similar to the way you do jewelry) to hang with chain.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

another casual loop trick is to lamp work some glass strips into rings or U's and fuse those where needed for hangers. i make a double ring to get the glass to the preferred thickness. rosanna
Jo Holt

Re: Attaching zinc or brass channel to picture frame

Post by Jo Holt »

Nanc wrote:I want to make fused glass picture frames, how on earth do I ... attach a zinc or brass channel to the back of the glass frame so that I can use an easel back?
I attach the glass insert & channels with 30 min clear epoxy.

Don't feel dumb. When I first switched from soldered frames to fused ones I wasn't sure how I was going to attach the easel back channels. So, I found a site where a studio out west made them and sent an e-mail asking if she minded sharing her method. She did mind. :o So, eventually I figured out my method.

Thank you, Brad, for this board!

Jo