frit chips and elmer's Q

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rodney

frit chips and elmer's Q

Post by rodney »

i just did an experiment, where i had various sizes of frit, mixed with elmers and water 50/50,,,,i fired it to 1500 and it didnt blob, there is still a texture on the top, is this normal

thanks
rodney
The Hobbyist

It wasn't the elmers

Post by The Hobbyist »

Hi Rodney,

First......The elmers had no effect on the process except to hold it together while you got it to the kiln. It was burned off long before the 1500.

Second...What color was the frit? If it was white it would have to saok for a while. If it was black it should have been close to a glob.

I never rely on temperature alone when working with frit. I always watch and then crash when I have the effect I want. There is a delicate balance when working with frit that involves temperature, soak time, color and thickness. With practice you can get it to fuse and retain as much sharpness as your design calls for.

That's why I never try to fire frit for an effect at the same time as I'm doing another process.

Practice makes a lot af messes................G'pa Jim
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

and you are the man for frit controll! had another house guest go through this years mags and pick the orange tree as sumpin special!! rosanna