confused about adhesive for mirror

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

joan

confused about adhesive for mirror

Post by joan »

Hi,
I have checked the archives re: the best adhesive for mirror. I know that some adhesives cause the silver backing to deteriorate over time. In the archives, E6000, silicone, and liquid nails were mentioned. Which one(s) will not cause this deterioration? I have lepage "NO More Nails". Is this the same as liquid nails? I have to have these mirrors done before the weekend. I am in British Columbia, so is there something I could possibly get here?
Thanks
Joan
Barbara Cashman

Post by Barbara Cashman »

We use several things for the mirrors, but I'm not familiar with what might be available in your area. My suggestion is to call your local glass&mirror company and ask them what they use. Liquid Nails is "no longer" guaranteeing mirror, from what I understand. We don't use or recommend it. Palmer Products and Gunther are well-known name brands for mirror and glass adhesives. Hope that helps.
Paul Housberg

Post by Paul Housberg »

As Barbara mentioned, Palmer and Gunther are manufacturers of mirror mastic. Comes in cartridges like silicone. Your local glass shop might sell you a tube. If this is a vertical installation, the mirror may need to be supported along a bottom edge.

I have successfully used silicone without it eating the silver (at least for the several years that I've monitored it) and I think it's less of an issue on new mirror. But, the trick is to apply lots of small dots of silicone - 1/4" or so. As I understand it, it's the uncured silicone which will eat the silver and with large globs, the silicone in the center takes a very long time to cure, if ever. Keeping your dots small assures that the silicone cures all the way through before it can damage the mirror.
Paul Housberg
Glass Project, Inc.
Art Glass Feature Walls
http://www.glassproject.com
http://www.facebook.com/housberg
Barbara Cashman

Right on, Paul. On a 4x4 tile, we apply no more than a dime-size dot in each corner, when using silicone. Silicone needs to *breathe* to cure properly and not destroy the mirror.
John

Post by John »

For years I have installed mirrors with liquid nails and touch wood I have never had to go back or have been asked "what's happened to my mirror?"
Paul is right in what he is saying, only small dobs, if you use dobs. Or snake it down the mirror in a zig-zag method. I use the later. Any sealant drys from the out side inwards. So the center will always take longer to cure giving you a chance of a chemical reaction.
John
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i wonder if the 'neutral cure' silicones would be safer? they do not have that acrid oder. rosanna
John

Post by John »

rosanna gusler wrote:i wonder if the 'neutral cure' silicones would be safer? they do not have that acrid oder. rosanna
Yes they are safer to use. However the same rule applies no big dollups.
Neutal cure still needs the surrounding air to cure.
As glass cutter/glaziers in Oz we are taught never to use acidic cure silcones on mirrors or laminates. the vapours given off during the rapid skinning time are not good for some substances such as mirrors and vinyl butylates.
John
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Neutral cure silicone is supposed to be safe for mirror, but I have only used it to caulk seams on mirror. To glue it to the wall I use something that is probably similar to "Liquid Nails" made by Franklin. It is a construction glue, but if you go into any glass shop in B.C. and ask for "Franklin" to glue mirror, I'm sure they will know what you are asking for. If you're in the Lower Mainlaind, email me and I'll help you out.
Linda Huffman

Post by Linda Huffman »

I recently purchased some "Liquid Nails" adhesive that's made just for use with mirrors. The writing on the tube says that it "......will not desilver electro-copper plated mirrors."
Barbara Cashman

From what I understand here (NC), Liquid Nails for Mirrors had some problems and was pulled from the market, advertised as such. You may have found some old stock. But I would suggest contacting the mfr for clarification before committing your work with it. We stopped using and recommending it when we heard that. I understand that rumor is worse than fact, but we can no longer find Liquid Nails for Mirrors where we usually purchased it.
Linda Huffman

Post by Linda Huffman »

Barbara, that's very interesting. I just checked their (Liquid Nails) web site and it also claims that it doesn't desilver mirror. I sent an email to the mfg. and will post their reply when it comes in.
Linda Huffman

Post by Linda Huffman »

For those of you who are interested in what the mfg. had to say, here's the email I received from them this morning. (I asked permission from them to post it here and they agreed.):

"Thanks for writing and letting us know what your hearing out in the retail
market. However, the product has not been discontinued. It is available at
Lowes, Ace, True Value stores. It comes in two sizes, a 4 ounce squeeze
tube and a 10.5 ounce cartridge. If needing a big quantity by the case,
that can be ordered at any store that carries Liquid Nails. You can pull up
the technical data sheet here on our website for application and uses. It
will not desilver copper-plated mirrors. If there is still concern supply
me with a phone number and I will have the lab call you."

Sincerely,
Priscilla Boukair
Customer Service Representative

I've been using it for some time now without any problems so I'd be curious to hear what problems others have encountered.

Linda
joan

Post by joan »

Thanks everyone for your help with the adhesive question. Lynne, I did go to a local glass/mirror shop and got the construction adhesive by Franklin. I am in the lower mainland and will email you. I am making small fused backs for pocket mirrors and need to glue the mirror on.
Thanks again.
Joan