Weird Slump - REVISITED

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Greg Rawls

Weird Slump - REVISITED

Post by Greg Rawls »

Had a weird slump a few weeks ago where the bowl was distorted. I flat fused the bowl, recut the piece into a circle, sandblasted (fear of devit) and re-slumped following the GREAT advice from this board (cleaned the mold, reapplied mold release, beveled the edge where it contacted the mold, backed off on the ramp speed). I also sprinkled some powder I bought years ago that is supposed to make the glass move more easily down the mold. Can't say which did the trick - probably a combination of all.

The pattern distorted slightly, but am pleased :D with the results...... THANKS ALL!

http://www.gregorieglass.com/Warmglass.htm
Greg
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

well that's amazing, greg!
Mimi Tarro

re weird slump

Post by Mimi Tarro »

Hi Greg, I also weirdly had a strange slump happening yesterday!!
Bullseye opal red, white,yellow and black. 180 one inch squares arranged diagonally onto a 151/2 " clear circle............full fuse flat. looked great!! cleaned piece and placed into classic 151/2" mold. have used this mold several times. Not "wet" kilnwash on mold but smooth and had been used to slump and few times previosly, But seemed to be in excellent shape ..................piece came out looking really weird edges that had been cold worked seemed warped!! had pretty yucko devit as well. I purposely crashed the kiln to avoid the devit thing. I have in the past used super spray............which works GREAT but because of the large amount of small squares............not exactly cost effective......to say the least!! Also showed signs of stretching in a warpish way. I can't really flatten this and re fuse. any body have a thought?? also .......fireing sched very conservative. I beleive hope this makes sense to you or whomever. I am a little bummed out.............going to bed now ....Mimi Tarro in Tualatin, Or
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Sorry about your bad slump - I can identify!

What I did was clean the mold with steel wool, reapplied kiln wash, fired to 500 to cure. For the glass, I made sure it was perfectly round, beveled the edge that contacted the mold, and sprinkled some powder that is supposed to make the slump smoother. Now, normally I fire a mold many times before I reapply kiln wash and this "warping" has never happened before. I've been slumping for years.

Since the piece can not be flattened, flatten it anyway and reuse the pieces in other work. One beautiful thing about glass fusing is there is no waste!
Greg
Val

Post by Val »

Nice bowl Greg!!!

Would be interested in purchasing some of that powder, any idea where I can get some.

Val
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

I think what Greg is talking about may be the "Free" powder from Unique Glass Colors, http://uniqueglasscolors.com/ I use a fairly heavy coating of this on the shelf when slumping wine bottles and when there is no enamel label on the bottle I have fired more bottles than I can remember without scraping and recoating the shelf. At the level I use it on the shelves with wine bottles it leaves a slightly textured back on the bottle that is not objectionable. I'll try to bring one home and see if I can scan it for the texture. I do so hate that my digital camera and my magnet collection were in my pickup when it was stolen and not recovered with the wrecked truck.

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas
Val

Post by Val »

Thanks Tom, I'll take a look at their website. Sorry about the truck. and the camera

Val :)
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Here's what the bottle says:

Satellite-Unique Colors
"Dust lightly over mold before each use to allow th glass to move freely over the mold surface"
318-697-4401

I actually pour it into a nylon stocking to sprinkle.
Greg
Val

Post by Val »

That must be a fine powder.
Tom White

Post by Tom White »

Val, it is about like talcum powder in particle size. I keep it in an old man's handkerchief abd pounce it on the shelf or shake it above the shelf to apply. BTW, I just scored a refurbished Olympus C-700 ( 10X optical zoom) for less than $300.00 on ebay tonight. It will be nice to be able to take pictures again!

Best wishes,
Tom in Texas