HELP! How to Remove Adhesive Stickiness From Dichroic Glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

candala

HELP! How to Remove Adhesive Stickiness From Dichroic Glass

Post by candala »

I am trying to remove adhesive ("Goo") sticky residue off of dichroic glass from a sticker that I have cut through for etching. I have tried using alcohol, nail polish remover and "Goo Off". Nothing is working, the residue is everywhere. Any suggestions what will take it off easily without hurting the dichro? Thanks.
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Try straight acetone. If that does not work, try mineral spirits. All available at Home Depot.
Greg
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

perhaps WD-40. it's surprising the goo-off stuff didnt work. hmmm.
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

Well, nail polish remover is acetone, sort of. I've never found any glues that nail polish remover won't work on. I actually use lacquer thinner for glues, but have got out the nail polish remover in a pinch. This must be some special kind of goo.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

actually, there are quite a few acetone free nail polish removers on the market. Acetone isn't too nice to your nails. Check your np remover and if it isn't acetone, get some that is, and try that. Usually works for me.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

Naptha or MEK...both available at hardware stores.
Diane Trepanier

Post by Diane Trepanier »

Try using Undo. It is similar to lighter fluid. It is made specially for removing stickers. It comes with a scrapper attached. Just follow the directions on the package. It is available in craft stores, grocery stores, Wal-Mart, Target, and many more.
Diane Trepanier
Solfyre
Designer, glass, wire, beads, etc.
candala

Sticker Adhesive Problem

Post by candala »

I've tried Mineral Spirits, the goo stays. I am using a very expensive coated adhesive back paper that is very smooth when etching with an exacto knife. The problem is, as I indicated in my previous post, that after it's etched and armoured, when the sticker is removed, it has a NASTY sticky paste on the back and nothing seems to be working. Any additional help out there? P.S. Will the adhesive burn off when fired? Keep in mind that it is being capped with a clear cap. Thanks.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Mineral spirits may take a while, soak the piece for 10-20 min and see what happens. You may need to remove the excess after soaking using a paper towel and then more soaking.

Another thing to try is use some of the same sticky paper and see it you can blot up the stickey stuff. It may transfer back off the glass.

Ron
ellen abbott

Post by ellen abbott »

Mineral spirits is just paint thinner. Don't think it will work. Have you tried the acetone, naptha, or MEK or even a razor blade after soaking it with plain glass cleaner? Sounds to me like whatever you mean by 'armouring' is probably reacting with the adhesive on the paper. Try removing the stencil material before you 'armour' it. You say it is a
very expensive coated adhesive back paper that is very smooth
but you don't say what brand or make.

e
npace21

removing stickiness

Post by npace21 »

I'm fairly new to fusing, so if this suggestion isn't feasible, please let me know.--When I need to remove adhesive stickers, etc. from most glass and other surfaces I lightly coat the stickers with cooking oil, let it sit a few minutes and the scrape the sticky off. Then I clean as usual. I haven't tried this on dichroic however.
Charles Friedman

Post by Charles Friedman »

Orange oil. The essential oil not the food oil.
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Charles Friedman wrote:Orange oil. The essential oil not the food oil.
Orange oil! :shock:
(Yikes! Gives me nightmares . . . )
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

What type of resist is it? Maybe a call to the manufacturer will tell you what type of adhesive it is and what the appropriate solvent would be. It might be easiest to fire a sample to see if the adhesive will burn off cleanly.

While it may not be good for cleaning houses, and gives Jackie recurrent nightmares (thanks kids!) orange oil is used in the sign industry to remove the adhesive left behind after removing vinyl lettering and graphics.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Charles Friedman

It is also away to loosen things that have been siliconed down.
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Charles Friedman wrote:It is also away to loosen things that have been siliconed down.
orange oil helps dissolve silicone? Yahoo!!! (sorry Jackie)

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Charles Friedman

I have been using orange oil for years to secure art for museums and other temporary art shows, even on the most fragile old glass and as well as Dale's extremely thin blown pieces. Please remember that this oil is very poisonous so even if it smells delicious, do not eat it.
Just flood the area where the glue is and let sit for about 10 min or so and start to wiggle it free, you will hear the suction start to release let sand for a min or so and wiggle some more and it will come free. Add more oil if it doesn't come loose right away. The smell and orange stain will disappear after a few days. Do not lit it stay on a painted surface for very long, it will remove the paint as well.