Designs on Dichro

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

it doesnt work on dichro directly. it cuts your artwork into stencils which you apply to dichro, then sandblast or cream etch.
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

Thanks, Kitty. I did know that. Does it adhere well enough to produce clean, crisp lines once acid etched? I've done the sticker thing, but I really prefer to use my original ideas rather than Michael's sticker aisle!

DOLORES
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

hi dolores. the results i have seen are tiny and crisp. i'm going to buy this set-up for myself in the next few weeks. the price you found is good, by the way. my friend who has one applies the vinyl he cuts out to stone, and sandblasts pretty small images into the stone. it's very clean looking, not messy. as i mentioned before, there used to be someone around here who was using this method on dichro jewelry elements, and i wondered for years how she did it. now i know. i didn't know about this until a few months ago, either, so you're not the only one who has been in the dark. you know how sign companies can cut those vinyl letters for signs? they do it with a bigger version of the SX-8. also, someone gave me a referral for a company that cuts the vinyl from your own artwork, if you dont want to buy the equipment. that would give you a way to try this out before spending $500.
Robyn Alexander

Post by Robyn Alexander »

Kitty wrote:.... also, someone gave me a referral for a company that cuts the vinyl from your own artwork, if you dont want to buy the equipment. that would give you a way to try this out before spending $500.
Would you willing to share the referral info? I too found the under $500 price intriguing, but would like to play a bit first. Thanks for the lead!

Robyn
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

robyn -- look at http://www.pre-cut.com. i was just told about them, so i haven't used them myself.
Martycom

Post by Martycom »

Try a Sign Shop for the stencil cutting.... all of their vinyl lettering is computer generated and cut.... You can always spray the backing with more spray glue to insure that it sticks properly.... good luck.
Marty Meade - Instructor
Dolores

Post by Dolores »

Hey, I'm off to find a sign maker tomorrow! This sounds promising (and maybe a cure for my Dremel numbed fingers to boot!). If any of you fellow glass euthusiasts purchases this system soon, please DO keep us posted as to its performance and/or pitfalls. Is this kind of like sending your friend into the scary, dark cave first?..... :shock:

DOLORES
P.S. Looking forward to seeing your finished website, Kitty!