Thinfire, smell and toxicity

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Paul Tarlow

Thinfire, smell and toxicity

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Dear Abby,

I know about the dangers of thinfire "dust" once the binder has been burned off.

What about the fumes from burning -- are those toxic? I figured this had to be in the archives -- but if it is there I can't find it.

Sincerely,
Liking my lungs in Austin
Brock

Post by Brock »

I don't think ANY fumes are good for you, some are just worse than others. In my slight nod to safety issues, I avoid ALL papers for firing.
Just don't need them.
Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Cynthia

Re: Thinfire, smell and toxicity

Post by Cynthia »

Paul Tarlow wrote:Dear Abby,

I know about the dangers of thinfire "dust" once the binder has been burned off.

What about the fumes from burning -- are those toxic? I figured this had to be in the archives -- but if it is there I can't find it.

Sincerely,
Liking my lungs in Austin
I've been told the binders are organic...like a sugar sizing. I don't know if that is fact or not.

You should vent your kiln when burning anything off...painting mediums, binders in fiber boards and papers, fiberglass, glues...If you don't have a vent to take those fumes from the kiln to the outdoors, make sure you have appropriate room ventilation. Sometimes a box fan in a window is adequate to move enough air through.
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Ask the manufacturer for a MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). They will have to list the binder. Also, look under the Fire/Reactivity section - it should list hazardous combustion products.
Greg
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

I've always been told that it is just starch. If anyone finds out just what it is let us know.

rob
"Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's too high! Come to the edge! And they came, and he pushed...... and they flew."
-- Christopher Logue
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

According to my supplier, the binder fumes aren't toxic. However, like all airborne particulates perhaps something to be avoided.