how to harden fiber paper molds

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mikefromitaly

how to harden fiber paper molds

Post by mikefromitaly »

Hello friends,
i have bought form a local supplier fiber paper 15 millimeter and i did a mold but it is too much fragile...i have bought fiber mold hardner but i do not know how might use it.....

someone could explein procedure to harden my molds?

any helps will be appreciate.mike form italy :roll:
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

hi mike, i put my mold on a surface where it can stay for a while. i pour the hardner on it untill it will not hold any more. let it dry. fire it to about 1300. i do not prefire the fiberpaper before hardening. sometimes i need to apply more hardener and fire a second time. then kilnwash and use. rosanna
Joanne Owsley

Post by Joanne Owsley »

[quote="rosanna gusler"]hi mike, i put my mold on a surface where it can stay for a while. i pour the hardner on it untill it will not hold any more. let it dry. fire it to about 1300. i do not prefire the fiberpaper before hardening. sometimes i need to apply more hardener and fire a second time. then kilnwash and use. rosanna[/quote]

Does the hardner somehow change the fiberpaper so that it requires kilnwash after hardening? I've not used a rigidized fiberpaper mold before, but am planning to soon. I wasn't thinking that the fiber would require kilnwash, as I fire on fiberpaper without kw all the time. :shock: :?: I would really appreciate it if you would elaborate on this!
~ Joanne

"What neglected medication made you think THAT was a good idea??"
- me, to myself
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

yes it needs kilnwash after rigidising. the silica must stick. rosanna