Fire retardent formula

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim simmons

Fire retardent formula

Post by jim simmons »

For anyone that is interested. Here is a formula that was given to me by our local fire department to treat your table skirting at shows.

Jim

FABRIC FORMULA
Makes 6 gallons of flame retardant
- Borax 3.5 pounds = 6 parts
- Boric acid 2.5 pounds = 5 parts
- Water 6 gallons = 100 parts
Light material 1 -2 applications Heavy material 2-3 applications
Allow fabric to completely dry between applications.
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Years ago Jim, I remember in grade school they used a similar formula to spray the cut Christmas trees for each classroom before they were brought inside.

That was a long time ago.
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Be warned! Fire retardants that are chemically applied (vs inheriently flame retardants like Nomex) WILL WASH OUT after a very few cleanings! I head the Flame Ratardant Garment team for my company (a really big metals company) and we found that this type of flame retardant will wash out unpredictably after 10-20 washings. Now, if you are never going to wash the cloth, this is not a problem.
Greg
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Ron Coleman wrote:Years ago Jim, I remember in grade school they used a similar formula to spray the cut Christmas trees for each classroom before they were brought inside.

Question: Why is it that we can accept the unlikely notion that a gradeschool student would remember a chemical formula used on Christmas Trees?
Answer: Because its Ron.

(I spent most of grade school looking for my pencil).
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

db wrote:
Ron Coleman wrote:Years ago Jim, I remember in grade school they used a similar formula to spray the cut Christmas trees for each classroom before they were brought inside.

Question: Why is it that we can accept the unlikely notion that a gradeschool student would remember a chemical formula used on Christmas Trees?
Answer: Because its Ron.

(I spent most of grade school looking for my pencil).
All I remember about the formula was that it had borax in it, the same thing Mom put in the washing machine.
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Greg Rawls wrote: Now, if you are never going to wash the cloth, this is not a problem.
Or you could reapply pweriodically
Jim
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Ron Coleman wrote:All I remember about the formula was that it had borax in it, the same thing Mom put in the washing machine.
That got me thinking about Mom (My Mom, not Ron's) and laundry. I remember a product called 'Bluing'. I couldn't recall what it was for, so I googled it. Learned something about color perception that might have application in glass. Hmmmm.

http://www.walco-linck.com/bluette.html