What a rocket . . . .

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Brock

What a rocket . . . .

Post by Brock »

. . . . just fired my new Skutt Clamshell to seat the elements.

56 minutes to 1650. And, I used the controller, (I had no choice).

Controller Boy
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Any statistics you can provide concerning the clamshell's speed to fire single layers of painted glass to maturity and cool again without breaking, would be greatly appreciated and duly noted in the beers-owed ledger.
Brock

Post by Brock »

db wrote:Any statistics you can provide concerning the clamshell's speed to fire single layers of painted glass to maturity and cool again without breaking, would be greatly appreciated and duly noted in the beers-owed ledger.
Hey db, I don't think any electric kiln is going to approach the speed of those domed railroad gas fired kilns. I've taken fairly large painted pieces up to 1450 in 10 minutes, or less. I think it must have something to do with the domed shape, but they're far superior to electric, for that application. Was that information worth a beer? Brock
Bert Weiss

Re: What a rocket . . . .

Post by Bert Weiss »

Brock wrote:. . . . just fired my new Skutt Clamshell to seat the elements.

Controller Boy
You will be a controller convert. You will be a controller convert.

How many watts per cubic foot?
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Brock wrote:
db wrote: Was that information worth a beer? Brock
Sure. But here's the decision matrix:

Type.........Cost.......Usage......Painting Loads Per Day
Clamshell - $2000 - versatile - ?
Hoaf 16x24- $5000 - painting - >8
New JenKen* - <$1500 - painting - >8

* (fictional future kiln hinted-at by Mike of Jen ken and Marty of CDV just to aggravate me)

If the Clamshell can knock out two painting firings in an evening after work, then based on its other traits, its a nice solution.
charlie

Post by charlie »

Controller Boy
you will be assimilated
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

um, brock, did anybody send you flowers lately? rosanna (wasn't that where the pods were hidden?)
Brock

Post by Brock »

Bert Weiss wrote:

Controller Boy
You will be a controller convert. You will be a controller convert.

How many watts per cubic foot?
I don't know, the kiln has 7450 watts, but I couldn't find the cubic footage in a quick look. Brock
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

The Skutt website lists the volume of the new clamshell at 4.35 cubic feet. That gives over 1700 watts per cubic foot. I think you have a real toaster Brock

Now what's Ned going to say about the controller?

Ron
Brock

Post by Brock »

rosanna gusler wrote:um, brock, did anybody send you flowers lately? rosanna (wasn't that where the pods were hidden?)
Don't remember any flowers, but I do have an uncontrollable urge to point my crooked hand at strangers, and make high pitched keens. Donald
Brock

Post by Brock »

Ron Coleman wrote:The Skutt website lists the volume of the new clamshell at 4.35 cubic feet. That gives over 1700 watts per cubic foot. I think you have a real toaster Brock

Ron
Well . . . Ned's dead. I guess I'm hooked.

Are there any more controllerless holdouts?

Brock
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

Brock wrote:
Ron Coleman wrote:The Skutt website lists the volume of the new clamshell at 4.35 cubic feet. That gives over 1700 watts per cubic foot. I think you have a real toaster Brock

Ron
Well . . . Ned's dead. I guess I'm hooked.

Are there any more controllerless holdouts?

Brock
I fear you were the last of the dinasours bro.....Welcome to the real world....ahahhahah!

Lost in Chi town
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Doug Randall wrote:I fear you were the last of the dinasours bro.....Welcome to the real world....ahahhahah!

Lost in Chi town
There are all the newbies who can't afford a controller and would like to think they don't need one. It's a shame for them that they will lose their greatest advocate. They'll still have Dani.

1700 watts per cubic foot is a rocket. The only think you would have trouble with is trying to dry something below 212. I used to try and dry enamels there, but the mediums I use now have a higher boiling point.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Brock

Post by Brock »

There are all the newbies who can't afford a controller and would like to think they don't need one. It's a shame for them that they will lose their greatest advocate. . . .

They don't need one! I was kidding about being Controller Boy. I have to go to the studio tomorrow and see if I can make this kiln do what I want, all I've done so far is fire the pre-programmed element seating cycle. . .

. . . which is kinda weird actually, because these elements aren't seated in brick at all, they're suspended on tubes.

I still have three other controllerless kilns so I won't totally abandon my Luddite buddies. Brock
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

i remember that one of the main reasons to do the preheat thing was to develop the proper coating of oxides on the elements with out any contaminants . i have 2 without and 1 with. rosanna
Claudia Whitten

Post by Claudia Whitten »

They don't need one! I was kidding about being Controller Boy. I have to go to the studio tomorrow and see if I can make this kiln do what I want, all I've done so far is fire the pre-programmed element seating cycle. . .

. . . which is kinda weird actually, because these elements aren't seated in brick at all, they're suspended on tubes.

I still have three other controllerless kilns so I won't totally abandon my Luddite buddies. Brock[/quote]

Brock,
Being a controllerless person, I am interested in how you will do with control..... I am visual on my firing atleast on first times.. I like the thought of programing and knowing what is happening but I think I would have to peek the first time to make sure it is doing what I want then I would be trusting. Old Dogs.....Let us know how it works for you.....Claudia
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Claudia Whitten wrote:
Brock,
Being a controllerless person, I am interested in how you will do with control..... I am visual on my firing atleast on first times.. I like the thought of programing and knowing what is happening but I think I would have to peek the first time to make sure it is doing what I want then I would be trusting. Old Dogs.....Let us know how it works for you.....Claudia
Claudia

Some controllers are more friendly to the need to look in and hold the process than others. You can always have seperate profilles programmed in so that you can look, hold until the action is complete and then cool and anneal using a different program. Unfortunately most controller manufacturers are not geared to all the real needs of fuser/slumpers. But we are smart enough to get the job done.

The cool thing is that once you have done the look and wait thing a couple of times and the results are consistent and you are using the same amount of glass in the kiln etc., you can program it to go automatic and get consistent results while you watch the baseball game.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
Brock

Post by Brock »

The cool thing is that once you have done the look and wait thing a couple of times and the results are consistent and you are using the same amount of glass in the kiln etc., you can program it to go automatic and get consistent results while you watch the baseball game.

Yeah, but it's the %&*#@!!^& Yankees and the Marlins.

Anyway, I'm sure that I'll grow to use and appreciate the controller, but for the bulk of my work, visual inspection is crucial. I see the controller freeing me to leave the studio, without having to wait around for the kiln to drop to, and hold at, annealing temps. Brock
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

I have had (and been in love with) my Skutt Kilnmaster from Day 1--I can't imagine doing it all manually. I'm still there and watching for every minute of the action at full temps but during the ramp up/ramp down and anneal I'm off sipping champagne and making delightful conversation with my compatriots...or more likely slumped down on the couch in sweats shouting angry responses at CNN reports (maybe I should get rid of our TV too Brock). I bet you are going to love the freedom it gives you--you will be over in the controller camp in no time, wait and see...
Amy
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Brock wrote:The cool thing is that once you have done the look and wait thing a couple of times and the results are consistent and you are using the same amount of glass in the kiln etc., you can program it to go automatic and get consistent results while you watch the baseball game.

Yeah, but it's the %&*#@!!^& Yankees and the Marlins.

Anyway, I'm sure that I'll grow to use and appreciate the controller, but for the bulk of my work, visual inspection is crucial. I see the controller freeing me to leave the studio, without having to wait around for the kiln to drop to, and hold at, annealing temps. Brock
Another cool thing that you cando, at least on my controler, is to set the start time so that the kiln starts at 0400 and when you role out of bed at 0800, the kinl is at the first hold temp of 1200 .
Jim