Tack-Fusing

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

artisand

Tack-Fusing

Post by artisand »

I am tack-fusing frit onto 1/2 inch by 5 inch long pieces of glass. When tack-fusing are the requirements the same for decreasing the temperature as for a full fuse?

If I want to tack fuse on a slumped item, do I do it while slumping, or if I apply it after slumping will it affect the shape of the item?

Thanks,

Sharon
Amy on Salt Spring

Post by Amy on Salt Spring »

Slump temperatures are much lower than tack/fusing temps so you cannot tack fuse without melting the shape and you cannot tack fuse at slumping temperature because they are too low. So tack fuse and then slump into shape. I slump at around 1200-1250 and tack fuse at the same temp as a full fuse (1450) but just for a shorter amount of time. I'm not sure I understand your first question--what do you mean decreasing the temp?
Amy
artisand

Post by artisand »

Hi Amy, I guess I was asking if I could ramp down more quickly when tack fusing, but as the temp is the same as fusing, I would suppose not. Thanks for the info.

What is your "Salt Spring?" We have a Salt Spring here in Florida. Just a small clear spring off the St. John's River. You have to watch out for gators when you get very far away from the spring. They don't like that cold 72 degree temperature! Not a problem for you, huh?

Sharon
Jerry Barnett

Post by Jerry Barnett »

Sharon, you might want to read Bullseye's Annealing FAQ:

http://www.bullseye-glass.com/techinfo/afaq.html
Amy on Salt Spring

artisand wrote:Hi Amy, I guess I was asking if I could ramp down more quickly when tack fusing, but as the temp is the same as fusing, I would suppose not. Thanks for the info.

What is your "Salt Spring?" We have a Salt Spring here in Florida. Just a small clear spring off the St. John's River. You have to watch out for gators when you get very far away from the spring. They don't like that cold 72 degree temperature! Not a problem for you, huh?

Sharon
Yep, the only difference in how slowly you drop or how long you anneal is the thickness of the piece--check out the link Jerry gave you.

Salt Spring is an island in the Gulf Islands in British Columbia Canada, just above the San Juan Islands in the states. We have lived here three years now and love it. We have mediterranean weather--long sunny summers, no humidiity and never too hot, and wet winters but nevert too cold and much less rain than everyone else in the Pacific Northwest gets since we are in the rainshadow of Vancouver Island. The weather is so temperate that people even grow bananas here in spots! No gators though. Check out this link http://www.gulfislandsguide.com/photos- ... index.html
Cheers!
Amy
Amy on Salt Spring

P.S. I lived in Florida for a few years when I was a teenager. Boynton Beach and Delray Beach.
-A
Doug Randall

Post by Doug Randall »

There is a whole range that one can tack fuse embellishments on the surface of their piece. Often I will tack frit onto the surface of the work at temps as low as 1325. As you increase that tempature, you will notice that the tack will
go from "barely holding onto the surface" to a "almost fully fused, slightly raised surface" at the upper tempatures, ie 1450. In the past, Ive found by doing small tests at all the different tempatures allowed me to learn just what I was looking for when doing a tack. Document each test and it will become a wealth of information for years to come.

And Amy....You are so lucky, Salt Spring Isle is my abosolute favorite among the gulf islands. I stayed there a few years back and fell in love with it....Gorgeous place.
artisand

Post by artisand »

Thanks everyone! I will check the Bullseye site, Jerry.

Your Salt Spring sounds like a beautiful place, Amy. I didn't realize such a place existed in your area.

Sharon