Safety precautions?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

karnor

Safety precautions?

Post by karnor »

I'm new at glass painting and firing and have been reading all of the warnings associated with the paints (I'm using Reusche and Fuse Master).

Question: What type of precautions do all of you use when painting, airbrushing, and firing?
Marty

Post by Marty »

I'm not painting but any spraying I do is in a fume hood (open box with a fan at the end opposite you, vented to the outside). The kiln is in a room that's also vented with an exhaust fan in the window.
Tony Serviente

Post by Tony Serviente »

Rule I use for any airbornes is that if its a mist, vapor, or particles that are flying around I suck it out with a vented hood like Martys, and while doing that wear a good respirator rated for the job. I got a restaurant mushroom style vent for my exhaust, and it is really effective. They can sometimes be picked up used for a song, and most I've seen are meant to work with 120V.
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

You can ask the manufacturer for the MSDS and read the Toxicology section and find out if there is anything "nasty" in the paint. Obviously, its a good idea to vent if you are creating a mist or particulate in the air.
Greg