Does anyone out there have the Evenheat GTS22?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Susan Slack

Does anyone out there have the Evenheat GTS22?

Post by Susan Slack »

If so I am interested in your feelings about it. I am researching kilns again. It appears to have the same size and shape as the Paragon,at half the price. I wondered how it compared. Any infor would be appreciated. Thanks. Susan
Susan from Green Oaks
Mark Wilson

Post by Mark Wilson »

i am at work, but i believe that is the kiln i have. mine is 22x22x13 inch inside dimentions, has a top heating element, front loading door, and a rampmaster ii controller. it is a wonderful kiln. i mainly use it for annealing stuff i make in my offhand studio, but i have used it for warm glass stuff as well. i have had it now for several years and it has never given me any trouble. if you get this kiln, i would recommend that you limit the maximum ramp rate to 1000F/hour (same advise for any kiln, not just this one). i think i paid about $1500 for it, but i am not sure about the exact price. it has plenty of room, and runs off of 220v 30amp breaker.
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

I have the GTS 23-13 without a computer controller and I love it. Only thing I would do differently is get a controller with it since now the controller by itself is so expensive......Uses a 21" shelf.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

I have the GTS-23 which is 9" deep and with 20:20 hindsight, I probably should have gotten the 18-9 or the 2341. My main reason is that I find I do a lot of bowls that are 10 to 12" in diameter. On the 21" shelf, you can only fuse one 12" piece at a time, and you can only slump one 12" piece at a time.

My new kiln should be able to do 6 to 8 at a time... if I ever start building it...

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Susan Slack

Post by Susan Slack »

Thanks everyone for your input.
Tony, I understand your delema. That is why I have a very large kiln (Paragon 64) and the Evenheat coffin. I am comtemplating selling the coffin and replacing it with 2 smaller kilns with square shelves. I have been looking at the Paragon front loader, but with the cost, it would be a while. The evenheat looks quite similar, but at a lot less money, so I was interested in finding out if I should take a chance and get one. I have had the coffin for maybe 4 years. I have also had small Evenheat jewelry kilns and have been quite happy with them. The few small problems that I have had, have been taken care of and I am quite happy with their service.
Susan from Green Oaks
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

As far as quality goes, I think the GTS-23 is a great kiln. The RampMaster II is a great controller and I haven't had any problems with it.

If I was doing large quantities of small pieces like cabs, the GTS-23 would be perfect.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun