Warm Glass calendar!!!

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jackie Beckman

Re: Help! I'm confused again.

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Geri Comstock wrote:
Chip wrote:Then can be portrait or landscape. No rules as to what you are wearing or not wearing, as long as you are doing cold work.

Is this a new rule that we have to be doing coldworking or did I miss it the first time among the thousands of posts?

Gale and I have the BEST idea for something that's not coldworking for our picture. It would be such a shame to waste such a great idea. *evil smirk*

Geri

This idea started over in the classified forum, Geri, when Avery was searching for a good place to buy aprons for coldworking. Amy suggested she try some waders to go with her apron, I wished I still had an old pair(?) set (?) (however they come) to send her, then the guys started envisioning women coldworking glass in wet paper aprons (I know - it's quite a jump, but perhaps one has to be a man to understand . . .) and suddenly a "WarmWomen Coldworking Glass" calander was born. Then being "PC" Chip reminded Brock that it didn't have to be just women, and now we have men in wet paper aprons too - which doesn't quite answer your question, but should help you decide if you want to use your original idea or not. :lol:

Ms. Co-October
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Chip wrote:The only "delay" I can anticipate is the laminating, but again, I have access to 2 heavy duty machines. So, there you have it!

Reread the rules that Brad put in the first message in this thread.

GET ME THE PICTURES FOLKS!! :D
Chip,

Is there any chance that you can eliminate the laminating by printing the calendar pages on the backs of the photos? That would speed things up considerably, but might take a bit more planning.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Cheryl

There's an empty, lonely space...

Post by Cheryl »

on my bulletin board at work waiting especially for this calendar. The folks I work with actually value my insanity (and know it involves heavy equipment, hubba hubba) - I can't wait to show them there are more crazies like me in the world! (actually, all over the world!)

Go Chip!!!
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Chip wrote:It is a 15 month calendar. I am going to try to do this "in house." Nothing really fancy. I propose:

1. To make 100 calendars.
2. I will print up the pictures (after "tweaking" and positioning for 8.5x11" paper) on high gloss photo paper with my HP Photo Printer.
3. Using MS Publisher I will print out the months of the calendar
4. I will "fuse" :shock: them together in a 3 or 4mm laminate
5. I will then put a plastic spine in them
6. I will then mail them out to the participants

This should not cost all that much. The photo paper, laminate, ink and regular paper I can get wholesale. The spines I can get for free. And my teenage daughter said she "really needed a project to do to make some money, Dad!", so I will have her doing the laminating and collating.

I also have acess to 2 more excellent HP photo printers to speed up the process. The only "delay" I can anticipate is the laminating, but again, I have access to 2 heavy duty machines. So, there you have it!

Reread the rules that Brad put in the first message in this thread.

GET ME THE PICTURES FOLKS!! :D
Chip

Given the scramble for participating in the magless exchange, and the relative degree of difficulty, I imagine a demand for several hundred calendars. I suggest that you get preorders and then decide how best to produce them. A commercial print job might be cheaper and easier. HP ink costs a small fortune.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Chip

Post by Chip »

Aw heck, it sounds like there's a lot of good ideas out there. New rule: get me the picture you want in the calendar, I put it in! :D
Chip
Micah 6.8
Chip

Post by Chip »

Dani,
I am making 100 calendars. If there is a need for more, then, well, ahem, we'll sese.

I like Jackie's idea of wet paper aprons! :D (notice, I didn't sign up!!)
Chip
Micah 6.8
Chip

Post by Chip »

Tony,
The caledar has grown so much that commercial companies would be cost prohibitive. I've called a lot of companies, some have limitations of 1 photo per month, others want "artistic control" and others will only go with 12 monhts.

Yes, I may print on both sides of the paper!! Good idea for cost savings and paper savings and time savings. But I may still laminate since some/most of these may be in our shops.
Chip
Micah 6.8
Cheryl

sponsors???

Post by Cheryl »

I wonder if our wonderful friends at Bullseye, or other board sponsors, would pitch in, in response for a logo & website? On the other hand, that would really be a pain to organize at this late date...
PDXBarbara

Re: sponsors???

Post by PDXBarbara »

Cheryl wrote:I wonder if our wonderful friends at Bullseye, or other board sponsors, would pitch in, in response for a logo & website? On the other hand, that would really be a pain to organize at this late date...
Independence! Rah rah rah... pool our bucks....

xxoo
PDXFebruary
Barbara Bader
Dani

Post by Dani »

Chip wrote:Tony,
The caledar has grown so much that commercial companies would be cost prohibitive. I've called a lot of companies, some have limitations of 1 photo per month, others want "artistic control" and others will only go with 12 monhts.

Yes, I may print on both sides of the paper!! Good idea for cost savings and paper savings and time savings. But I may still laminate since some/most of these may be in our shops.
Chip, I checked with my printer, Inhouse Digital, and they are really flexible including with the 15 months. Minimum order is 25 for $10 each. Then pricing is 100-$8 each, 500-$6 each, 1,000-$5 each. They like to get a disk with everything already designed. Just a thought for next year maybe.
Chip

Post by Chip »

Dani,
Can you give me the number or email address? That is WAY cheaper than I can find it anywhere, and it's even less expensive than I can do it at home!!! (You owe my daughter now though!!)

If I'm reading you right, we are looking at $1050 for 125, or about $8.40 in cost. So if we sold them for $15, then @$7 could go to the scholarship fund!! COOLIO!
Chip
Micah 6.8
PDXBarbara

Post by PDXBarbara »

Chip wrote:
If I'm reading you right, we are looking at $1050 for 125, or about $8.40 in cost. So if we sold them for $15, then @$7 could go to the scholarship fund!! COOLIO!
Hi Chip... I'm sure it's been mentioned, but the thread is too long now to read thru...
Perhaps a sign-up list is in order so we'll know more or less how many will commit to purchase one or more calendars?

xxoo
PDXFeb.
Barbara Bader
Chip

Post by Chip »

Good idea. I'll ask Brad where he wants it.
Chip
Micah 6.8
Dani

Post by Dani »

Okay, here's the info: Inhouse Digital Printing at the local number is 719-578-0920. There website is inhouseprinting.com and I'll bet there's an 800# on the site, and of course, email. The person I deal with is named Scott and I'm sure he can answer all your questions. I just found out yesterday they also publish books and have print-on-demand set-up, so I'm in heaven! A local publisher that I can monitor in person every step of a project, what could be better?? :twisted: And I thought they only made color postcards!
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I have worked with a printer called xpresscopy.com They are amazingly fast and inexpensive for postcards. 400 laminated postcards cost $76 delivered. They also have a mailing service which will mail them to your list. You email them pdf's before 2PM EST and the cards arrive at your doorstep the next day.

They charge 1.32 for 100 double sided color copies 8.5" x 11" on 90 lb cover, glossy laminated on both sides. That price includes shipping.
8 double sided pages would cost 10.56. Their 90 lb cover laminated is the same as their postcard weight. The lamination surface is suitable for wipe off markers.

I don't see that they have a calendar format template, but they might.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Chip wrote:Dani,
Can you give me the number or email address? That is WAY cheaper than I can find it anywhere, and it's even less expensive than I can do it at home!!! (You owe my daughter now though!!)

Chip don't forget the cost of mailing! Why only 125 copies? We usually have more than 125 responding to magnet exchanges, this is likely to draw even more participants....

Barbara (who definitely wants to get one)
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Heh. I know I already want at least 2. My dad was here visiting when I asked David to take the photo of me and described what Gale and I are planning on doing. My dad thought it was so funny he has asked me to get him one also. LOL.

I suspect there may be higher demand for this than you might think when people find out about it. *grin*

Here's an example...

My sister, a graphic designer, has done a calendar of her family (mostly photos of her 2 boys) every year for the last 3 years. She started out just making a couple of them and by now, I think everyone in the family gets one because they really WANT one. My friends comment on how kewl this calendar is when they notice it hanging in our breakfast room and even look through it at all the photos of the kids.

When people's friends and families find out about our silly calendar, the same thing may happen...who knows?

Geri
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Unfortunately, if some of the pictures turn out the way I expect, I won't be allowed to hang it up at work :shock:

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Tony Smith wrote:Unfortunately, if some of the pictures turn out the way I expect, I won't be allowed to hang it up at work :shock:

Tony
Will you have any luck being allowed to hang it up at home??
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

If we want to make a heap for the scholarship fund - as in selling a bunch of these "one of a kind" calendars, then everyone should think about doing something wild and whacky with their photo.

Plus, I'd really hate to piss off some poor fisherman who's bought a copy of this calendar based on seeing someone parked in their waders on the front page - LOL! You know - truth in advertising and all..............

Chip's calendar idea has the possibility of being a real good promo piece to advance the effort for warmglasser/coldworkers.

Why don't we start a big buzz, instead of only a simmer. Have no fear glassies - go out there ------------ somewhere, anywhere - just don't be boring - LOL!