Thompson Enamels

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Greg Rawls

Thompson Enamels

Post by Greg Rawls »

I bought some Thompson Enamels. What do you mix this stuff with? I tried water and the enamel just sinks to the bottom. Maybe Klyr-Fire? Help!!!!!
Greg
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

what mesh size? the 80 mesh is for sifting onto oil, glue, klyrfire....... the finer grinds, 320 if i remember, work more like paint but they are still pretty coarse compared to ferro or paridise pigments. i have used thompsons enamel medium as well as klyrfire with the powders. rosanna
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Roseanna: Thanks for the reply! It's the 80 mesh size. So I sift over klyr-Fire? Hmmmmm... Where do you get the stuff that goes on like paint?
Greg
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

sifting is fun. try doing some scraffito drawings in the sifted enamel before the medium dries. ferro enamels go on like paint. search the archives for ferro wanda phone number. the 200$ (i think that is how much) test kit is awsome. i got some colors that go on with a lower temp from mr/mrs of dallas that i plan to test this week. rosanna
Rebecca M.

Post by Rebecca M. »

Don posted this a month or so ago.
http://www.thompsonenamel.com/products/ ... 2.htm#mtle
I haven't tried them, but they look very interesting. Has anyone tried them yet?
Cathy Crain

Post by Cathy Crain »

Rosanna-
What is included in the Ferro Test Kit? I too am hunting for something that acts more like paint and that can also be airbrushed and used as "food safe".
I talked to Ferro and was told that I had to buy paint in 1.5 lb units per color...they didn't say a thing about a test kit.

thanks
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Their test kit has 100 grams of each of 17 colors (I think) and 50 grams of 2 additional colors. It also comes with a mixing medium... all for $200 or so

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Cathy Crain

Post by Cathy Crain »

Thanks Tony,
Can you buy it straight from Ferro, or do you have to go through a distributor?
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

No, you have to call them directly... they're not very organized either. I would suggest you call and ask for a free sample first, before you lay down the $200.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Cathy Crain

Post by Cathy Crain »

Thanks Tony,
I will call them Monday.
Hope you are staying nice and warm. I understand it is a 'little chilly' up there :lol:
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

it's just 0° now... a little warmer than last night.

come on hawaii...... 8)

Tony
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Cathy Crain wrote:Thanks Tony,
I will call them Monday.
Hope you are staying nice and warm. I understand it is a 'little chilly' up there :lol:
It looked so unbelievably cold up there! Wow! I could almost feel it watching the game! I say "almost" but that's not exactly true. 76 and sunny here today - still 65 right now. Perfect.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Jackie Beckman wrote:
I will call them Monday.
It looked so unbelievably cold up there! Wow! I could almost feel it watching the game! I say "almost" but that's not exactly true. 76 and sunny here today - still 65 right now. Perfect.
yeah, yeah, yeah.... rub it in.

Mr Freeze
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

Tony Smith wrote:
Jackie Beckman wrote:
I will call them Monday.
yeah, yeah, yeah.... rub it in.

Mr Freeze
Don't envy our weather - in a few months I'll stop getting the mail because I'll burn myself touching the mailbox . . .
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Tony Smith wrote:Their test kit has 100 grams of each of 17 colors (I think) and 50 grams of 2 additional colors. It also comes with a mixing medium... all for $200 or so

Tony
The Sunshine series has 19 colors and flux. It has some lead and cadmium, but if applied and fired right it should meet food release standards. The flux is lead and cadmium free and can always be used as an overglaze. The Samba series is lead free.

Get some water miscable medium. There are many choices. I like the very slow drying #1544. The recommended one is 80841 I don't believe that medium comes with the sample set. You have to buy it seperately.

Their minimum order of a color is 100 grams or 1/4 lb. However, there is a $100 minimum. 800-245-4951 ask for Wanda McDowell in customer service.

I am teaching this in Hillsboro Oregon in a couple of weeks. Look in the classifieds for more info. I don't know anything about enrollment numbers. These enamels can be used on float, as well as on 90 and 96 COE glasses. The color layer is so thin that it doesn't have the strength to break the substrate glass.

Thompson is applied thicker and is much less forgiving.

Greg

Sifting is the way to get the Thompson on. When I worked with it I didn't use any kind of binder. I just sifted it on and messed around with it. Back in the 80's they had a beautiful line of lead bearing colors. Today their colors are kind of dead to me.

An interesting binder to try is aloe vera gel. Schmear it on and sift over a template.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Cathy Crain

Post by Cathy Crain »

Bert,
Thanks a bunch for the specifics. Don't suppose you are teaching anywhere in the South or Texas in the next few months?
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Cathy Crain wrote:Bert,
Thanks a bunch for the specifics. Don't suppose you are teaching anywhere in the South or Texas in the next few months?
No plans for teaching south fight now. I am probably going to announce a week long class at my Studio in NH in March. I haven't picked which week yet.

If you are going to travel for a class, Portland is a really interesting glass town to visit. Bullseye and Uroboros factories, Lots of great glass being made.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions