slumping temp for float glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Linda Hassur

slumping temp for float glass

Post by Linda Hassur »

I tried to slump a very small bowl yesterday along with a couple more molds that I was using to slump. The other two completed their slumping (one with BE clear and the other float) but the small bowl never did hit the bottom of the mold. I started at 1250 and continued rising the temp in small increments until I hit 1325. I decided at this point that it wasn't going to totally slump. Any ideas? Thanks Linda
charlie

Post by charlie »

the smaller in diameter it is, the longer and higher you have to go. you need a certain amount of weight of unsupported glass in the middle to make it bend. the less this is, the more heat and/or time you have to provide.
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Linda,

Personally, I would not try to slump float and BE or Spectrum in the same firing. It takes higher temperatures to slump float than BE or Spectrum.

Was the slump that didn't quite make it float?

Judy
Linda Hassur

Post by Linda Hassur »

yes, it was the float that didn't slump enough. How high do you usually have to go to get float to slump into a small mold? Thanks Linda
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Linda,

I'm not looking at my records at the moment, but I slump Spectrum around 1100 and when I do a drop mold with float I fire to over 1400. If I were slumping float into a more shallow mold, I'd go to about 1200 or so.

Judy
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I'd probably go to 1300 - 1350 depending on how fast I wanted it to happen.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions