A little advice needed on controllers/kilns..please

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Val Eibner

A little advice needed on controllers/kilns..please

Post by Val Eibner »

I am trying to select a controller and a medium size kiln to do my fusion glass pieces. I really love sculptures and that will be the future for my own glass pieces. But right now I am totally enjoying the pains and joys of learning glass fusion. I have looked at the skutt, evenheat, Jen ken, and the crucible kilns with the rampmaster, bartlett controllers as the norm. Any advice what might be a good choice. A kiln shelf size of 20" to 22" would be quite adequate I persume. I have been a professional potter and a sculptor in clay/mix-media for 30 years. Love this chat site with all the great humor and information. Some day I will be lucky to meet some of you characters. cheers, V.
Val
eibnerstudio
BC,Canada
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

One of the things that you should consider is how it is loaded. Do you want a top loader? A front loader? The octagons are more cost effectient but you loose a lot of space in them. A 15 inch octagon will not allow you to do a 15" square piece.

I have an octagon top loader and a square front loader. They work for me because one sits on top of the other but I get more work done out of the square Paragon kiln that I have.

Good luck in your search and with it once you get working with it.

If you have any more questions you can contact me directly at kilnrepair@yahoo.com. I also have some contact with most of the glass manufactures if that will help.