COE of non-tested BE?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marilyn Kaminski

COE of non-tested BE?

Post by Marilyn Kaminski »

I have a bunch of scrap BE that I'd like to use for fusing. Does the non-tested BE tend to be COE90, or is it more random? Specifically I'm looking at 0301 (pink opal) but also wondering in general.

(I know, I should test it myself ... but the magless deadline is getting
closer!)

Thanks -- Marilyn
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Marilyn, I don't think there is any way to know without testing each scrap to make sure it is compatible.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Barbara Muth wrote:Marilyn, I don't think there is any way to know without testing each scrap to make sure it is compatible.
Agreed. The glass will tend to be around 90 coe, but that doesn't mean the particular piece you have will be 90.
Marilyn Kaminski

Rats. I was afeared that would be the answer. Thanks for the quick responses, I'll make room for a test in tomorrow's kiln load.

- Marilyn
Paul Tarlow

Re: COE of non-tested BE?

Post by Paul Tarlow »

Marilyn Kaminski wrote:I have a bunch of scrap BE that I'd like to use for fusing. Does the non-tested BE tend to be COE90, or is it more random? Specifically I'm looking at 0301 (pink opal) but also wondering in general.

closer!)

Thanks -- Marilyn
The way it was explained to me is that compatible and non-compatible glass will come from the same run. The glass that tests compatible is labeled and sold such.

If that's true, then the implication is that the glass not labeled compatible is unlikely to fit COE 90 because it actually tested not compatible.

Someone from BE would need to verify this. I can't remember who told me...or if, perhaps, I dreamed it.

- Paul
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Paul Tarlow wrote:If that's true, then the implication is that the glass not labeled compatible is unlikely to fit COE 90 because it actually tested not compatible.- Paul
Maybe not. What is their criteria for "not-compatible"? Don't they test every tenth sheet? If so, then adjacent sheets might be compatible and not-compatible.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Brock

Post by Brock »

Paul Tarlow wrote:
Marilyn Kaminski wrote:I have a bunch of scrap BE that I'd like to use for fusing. Does the non-tested BE tend to be COE90, or is it more random? Specifically I'm looking at 0301 (pink opal) but also wondering in general.

closer!)

Thanks -- Marilyn
The way it was explained to me is that compatible and non-compatible glass will come from the same run. The glass that tests compatible is labeled and sold such.

If that's true, then the implication is that the glass not labeled compatible is unlikely to fit COE 90 because it actually tested not compatible.

Someone from BE would need to verify this. I can't remember who told me...or if, perhaps, I dreamed it.

- Paul
That's right Paul.

Out of a days production, which is all tested every 10 sheets . . .

Compatible is compatible..

Non-compatible is non-compatible.

I think Bullseye would love to make EVERY sheet compatible, it commands a higher price, but the start of a run (10 - 20%?) and the end of the run (another 20%+?) are not compatible, for whatever glass chemistry reason. Go by the labels. Simple really. Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

I've lucked out more times than not on getting compatible "Non-compatible" BE and Spectrum. I've found VERY FEW that weren't compatible, but I ALWAYS tested first.

...Kelly
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

Just as an aside, I work for a chemical plant. We produce one product that is sold at one price to one market, but we sell the exact same product (NO additives) at a much higher price, but to a different market. We can do this legally because they're sold to different markets.

Gambling on this logic, I ordered approx. $1K of untested BE and found that all was compatible. The drawback is I still have to do the testing.

...Kelly
Marilyn Kaminski

But now I've learned that they only test 1-in-10, so if I see a sheet that's got that distinctive corner-cut but isn't marked compatible, I'll definitely know to NOT pick that sheet.
The reason that they only test every nth sheet is that they are looking for the change from compatible to non-compatible or the reverse. The premise here -- and it must be a good one because you don't hear any complaining about getting non-compatible glass marked as compatible -- is that if the 50th sheet and the 60th sheet are both compatible then sheets 51 - 59 are also compatble.

- Paul
starchimes (Andrea)

Post by starchimes (Andrea) »

I have had good luck using bullseye that was not certified compatible (except ring mottled). I have used the 0301 and it worked great. But, I would still run a test just to be on the safe side.

Andrea