CBS dichro transparency

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mpg

CBS dichro transparency

Post by mpg »

Hi,

A few weeks ago I made a pendant by capping a piece of rippled dichro with a piece of dichro on clear (dichro up) and then a piece of regular clear. I like the look and have been trying to replicate it and haven't had any success. I thought the piece I used for the cap was candy apple red, but in the other tests I have done using c.a. red, it has come out too dense after firing to really see much of the bottom layer. I know some CBS dichros come out really dense after firing (like the silver) and was wondering if anyone could suggest colors that stay fairly translucent after firing? I'm rapidly working my way through my collection of dichro and not having much success.

Thanks!
Michelle
KatyPattison

Post by KatyPattison »

I find that the colours to the other end of the scale, (the standard colours, yellow/purple, pink/teal, blue/gold end) work best on top. They have a thinner coating? and let more show from below. Candy apple red, silver etc (premium or specialty colours) tend to work better below.

Katy
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Are you sure in your efforts to duplicate your success that you're firing both pieces with the coating up or down?

This can make a real difference in the final appearance.

Judy
dee

Re: CBS dichro transparency

Post by dee »

mpg wrote:Hi,

A few weeks ago I made a pendant by capping a piece of rippled dichro with a piece of dichro on clear (dichro up) and then a piece of regular clear. I like the look and have been trying to replicate it and haven't had any success. I thought the piece I used for the cap was candy apple red, but in the other tests I have done using c.a. red, it has come out too dense after firing to really see much of the bottom layer. I know some CBS dichros come out really dense after firing (like the silver) and was wondering if anyone could suggest colors that stay fairly translucent after firing? I'm rapidly working my way through my collection of dichro and not having much success.

Thanks!
Michelle
if i remember correctly, premium colors have more layers of the metal oxides than the standard colors, hence the difference in price/look - you can call cbs and verify this....
D
Dee Janssen
Unicorn's Creations Studio
http://ucjewelry.com
dee@ucjewelry.com
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

yellow/violet is one, and also emerald green, fired coated side down. i used to use the violet for the same reason you like it, but i dont do it anymore ... i just use thin clear, no dichro. still creates depth, and much less expensive. emerald green is very transparent, but it is green green green, too green, and can only be used occasionally. there are two silvers ... red/silver/blue is the softer one. the other silver fires up like a foil, and wont work on top layer for the look you want. dark dark red also makes a good cap, if you're after a bronze look. it's a dark shade, but very transparent.