firing schedule for small glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mpg

firing schedule for small glass

Post by mpg »

Hi,

I know I've seen this information somewhere, but can't find it right now, so I'd really appreciate your input! I've been following the firing schedule for a full fuse in Brad's book which has an initial temp rise of no more than 400 dph to ~1100 (then slow down until 1300 to help prevent bubbles.) My question is for what size glass is this appropriate? I've been working with 6" blanks, and was wondering if this was on the conservative side for this size? I know it's a good idea to fire slowly, but I've only got an infinite control on my kiln so any time savings would be a big help for me! Where can I find rule-of-thumb heating rates for different sized pieces?

Thanks!
Michelle
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

With 6â€
"Come to the edge. We might fall. Come to the edge. It's too high! Come to the edge! And they came, and he pushed...... and they flew."
-- Christopher Logue
KellyG

Post by KellyG »

I have a small "Hotbox" kiln. The largest single pieces I've fired were about 2-3" square, 2 layers of 3mm. I crank that puppy on high. It reaches full fuse in about 35 minutes. Then I just shut it off and let it cool to room temps (about 2.5 hrs). Haven't had a break/shatter yet and I've done quite a bit in there.

I wouldn't use the "Hotbox" if I needed a slower cycle. Don't have the patience to babysit the thing.
Tyler Frisby

Fast fire Float

Post by Tyler Frisby »

I fire

350 - 1000 -10min
700 - 1400 -10min

Full - 980 - 1 HR **I have had some bubble problems Im going to slow mine rate down

But im only doing candle holders.

Oh does anyone know the owest tack temperature for tempered glass to bare fure together? Save me a little experimentation ! thanks