Beginner Question about combing .....

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bryan

Beginner Question about combing .....

Post by Bryan »

Can I try to comb a small fused piece 8" X 8" if
it is on shelf paper??? or is that completely wrong..

Will the paper let it slide around.
Thanks.

BZody
mpg

Post by mpg »

Hi,

I found that when I tried to comb on fiber paper, the paper did slide around unless I tucked the ends under the kiln shelf (I have a 8"x8" kiln where the shelf sits directly on the kiln floor). I've also heard you can cut the fiber paper larger than the shelf and fold up the ends along the kiln walls to help anchor it in place. I've actually taken to doing combings directly on kiln-washed shelves. You do need to remove the stuck kilnwash somehow, but so far a few hours in vinegar and a good washing has removed it for me.

Have fun!
Michelle
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Michelle
Thank you for your prompt reply and extra
tips!!!!!!!!
BZody
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Michelle:
Vinegar? Really?? what do you do - just soak the piece in white or cider? Oh that would be a treat!
Kim
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Check in at the "Photos & Stuff."

We just had a nice discussion about a week ago with pictures regarding those of us trying combings for the first time.

Judy
molly

Post by molly »

I use cider vinegar to soak my glass cabs in order to get the backs completely free of kiln wash. It works great! I just let 'em soak for a few hours, and they nearly rinse clean!
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Molly: thank you for the tip, I am going to try that!
Kim
mpg

Post by mpg »

I wash the combings and scrape off as much kiln wash as I can first, then soak them in white vineger for 4-6 hours, then wash again with a green scotch-brite scrubbie. So far, it seems to be removing all stuck kiln wash (I use BE) and not scratching the glass (I've had problems with the scotch brite pads scratching unfused art glass I've used in windows). I've also read here that CLR, and toilet bowl cleaner also work.

Hope this helps,
Michelle