flosing vidriarte flashed glass sandblasted

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

mikefromitaly

flosing vidriarte flashed glass sandblasted

Post by mikefromitaly »

hello friends
i had an idea.
i will do an experiment but before i would tell you.
with my flosing-vidriarte flashed glass for fusing,i will sandblast on coated side a logo in reverse ande then i will fuse.
i would ask if for you after firing ,sandblasted area will be rough or bright!
or if i might use something to bright sandblasted area

any help or suggest will be appreciated.

mike from italy
:wink:
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

It depends on how hot you fire and how long you soak whether the sandblasted area will smooth out or not. At slumping temperature the sandblasted area will soften some but still be translucent. It is often called a satin look. At hotter temperatures and longer soaks the glass may smooth over completely. But be careful. If the glass stays in the temperatures between slumping and full fusing for long, (1300 - 1400 F), sandblasted areas are good places for devitrification to start.

If you fuse the sandblasted areas down on another piece of glass you will get interesting bubbles.

I suggest you do some tests on small pieces at different temperatures first.

ch
mikefromitaly

thanks

Post by mikefromitaly »

thanks for reply.

anyway if i keep longer time in a soak zone i have the risk that flosing 2mm could melt or flatten too......but eventually before fusing could i brush an glass for explein "spray a" or other coating to bright glass after fusing??

thanks
Gale aka artistefem

Post by Gale aka artistefem »

Mike.......Spray A is mostly used on the top surfaces of glass to prevent devit.

Are you laying the sandblasted side of the glass down against the kiln shelf? Or are you firing the sansblasted area facing upward?
mikefromitaly

here is me!

Post by mikefromitaly »

firstly thanks for reply

i am using 2 layers of glass:

under glass, layed down against lid kiln there is a 4mm float.
up 4mm float there is this 2mm"flosing vidriarte" a knid of flashed glass up covered with a kind of enamel.
this flosing is placed with up enemal;on this enamel i sandblasted a logo,then my flosing is all sandblasted except for logo that,hidden by masking,preserve its natural coating....in this way i could do every logo o writing on it.......a simply method comparison screepainting.....

my worries are about sandblasted area...i think they could remain opaque or rough...i would like it become shiny....after fusing....it is possible?might i use some spray items on flosing glass before painting....??

any help will be appreciate. :roll:

mike from italy
mikefromitaly

Post by mikefromitaly »

to explein me better,please see followng link:

http://www.vidriarte.com/productos/muebles.htm

please have a look the green wash-basin:

imagine that marine scenary has been sandblasted before fusing ....this way is in negative way...i will work in poitive way...but problems about sandblasted areas is the same...is there any method to "shine" sandblasted area....?

did i explein me better now??
thanks again.

mike from italy
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

Mike, you just might want to do a couple of small tests first just to see the results you'll get at different temps. I t has been my experiance that on some flashed glasses (Lambert's for one) the color (especially red on clear) is on so thin that it burns out when it is taken high enough to turn the etched part clear and shiny.
Mark Hughes
mikefromitaly

ok

Post by mikefromitaly »

thanks i will tell you about my experiments.
have luck everyone!

mike from italy

have a look at vulcano-stromboli near my home.
together etna ,are the most active and "only" vulcanos of europe

http://www.educeth.ch/stromboli/photos/index-en.html
Paul Tarlow

Post by Paul Tarlow »

mike from italy wrote:to explein me better,please see followng link:

http://www.vidriarte.com/productos/muebles.htm

please have a look the green wash-basin:

imagine that marine scenary has been sandblasted before fusing ....this way is in negative way...i will work in poitive way...but problems about sandblasted areas is the same...is there any method to "shine" sandblasted area....?

did i explein me better now??
thanks again.

mike from italy
Thanks for the link Mike.

Does anyone know if there is a U.S. retailer who carries this product line?