How to mark a mold to aid in aligning blanks

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

David Jenkins

How to mark a mold to aid in aligning blanks

Post by David Jenkins »

I make candle bridges, using the Bullseye 8903 single candle mold. Each time I do a slump using these molds, I mark the center points of the blanks, as well as the center points of the molds. I use a black Sharpie to mark those points, and the marks help me to align the blanks fairly precisely on the mold.

Measuring the molds every time I use them is a pain, so I have been scratching center marks into the sides of the molds to keep from having to re-measure. The problem is, those scratches are not the easiest thing in the world to see - especially if they've been semi-filled with kiln wash.

So is there some way of making a alignment mark on the mold that will be highly visible, and will stand up to repeated firings up to 1250 F? I'm not a pottery guy, but I'm guessing there's some sort of glaze pen or something I could use?

Thanks.
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
Vonon

Re: How to mark a mold to aid in aligning blanks

Post by Vonon »

Something like this would do it. Mark the mold and it should be permanent after firing. Is there a spot on the mold where you can see the mark OK but does not require kiln wash? Not sure whether you would be able to see it through a separator.

http://www.bigceramicstore.com/tools-su ... -pens.html
Vonon
Stephen Richard

Post by Stephen Richard »

use a dot of vitreous paint
Steve Richard
You can view my Blog at: http://verrier-glass.blogspot.com/
williamslaybaugh

Post by williamslaybaugh »

Why not cut a piece of Mylar, that fits in the center indentation of the mold, and poke a hole the size of a sharpie point. It will last forever if removed before firing, you can use it on multiple molds and the marks will be visible after kiln wash application. If you're using opaque glass and need the makes on the sides cut a piece out that will lay over the top of your mold with notches cut out to mark. This jig you could measure and use to make your blanks as well.
beninfl

Post by beninfl »

Metallic sharpie. Just add a dot under the edge.