Turning on hot head torch on cylinder

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michele-MD

Turning on hot head torch on cylinder

Post by Michele-MD »

Hi, everyone

Is there a gizmo that can be attached to a hot head torch on a gas cylinder that will let you turn it on with just one hand, bypassing the turn knob - and also get it lit? I need to be able to do this quickly while the other hand is manipulating some glass! It would be nice if I could do this and not have to have a second person to light the torch and hand it to me. Thanks for any advice you can offer. Michele
Buttercup

Re: Turning on hot head torch on cylinder

Post by Buttercup »

Have you asked the manufacturer of the torch ? Jen
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

Michele, does it have to be a Hothead? My husband has a torch he used for plumbing. It's a BernzOmatic Surefire #TS8000. He uses mapp with it. You open the knob to let the gas flow, then turn a yellow button on to 'on'. Then when he needs to use it he picks it up and squeezes the yellow knob like a trigger and it lights the propane while you are holding it. Hopes this helps.
Cate
Michele-MD

Post by Michele-MD »

I bet that would work. Sounds like it could be an easy solution for what I want to do. Thanks! Michele