Fire Polish 2.0 / Matte Finish

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

psh

Fire Polish 2.0 / Matte Finish

Post by psh »

Similar but different from Greg's question! I have a 2 layer fully fused and slumped 16"x 3" deep bowl (Bullseye mold and glass). I had a great finish going (slump 200/1200/20) until I saw a flaw on the rim. Yep, coldworked, sandblasted and ready to re-fire once again. I want to just remove the "white-ish frost" look on the next firepolish leaving it with a fully matte finish.

Question - can I go 150/1175/5 (I have seen a Bullseye sample at that time and temp...) for a matte finish and without placing the bowl back in the mold or will it soften too much by the slow ascent and top temp? Thoughts?
Thanks, Patty
charlie

Re: Fire Polish 2.0 / Matte Finish

Post by charlie »

i do a matte at 1225 for 7 minutes. leave it in the mold, or you risk it unslumping.
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

Since the flaw is on the rim, I would think you could re-cold work it, put it back in the mold and run your same slump program again.

psh wrote:Similar but different from Greg's question! I have a 2 layer fully fused and slumped 16"x 3" deep bowl (Bullseye mold and glass). I had a great finish going (slump 200/1200/20) until I saw a flaw on the rim. Yep, coldworked, sandblasted and ready to re-fire once again. I want to just remove the "white-ish frost" look on the next firepolish leaving it with a fully matte finish.

Question - can I go 150/1175/5 (I have seen a Bullseye sample at that time and temp...) for a matte finish and without placing the bowl back in the mold or will it soften too much by the slow ascent and top temp? Thoughts?
Thanks, Patty
Greg
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Fire polishing is a function of heatwork. Heatwork is different in every kiln, and also depends on the load inside the kiln. So what works for one person might not be what works for you. Or it might...

Fire polishing requires enough heat for the glass to soften a bit, so it will slump unsupported glass.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
psh

Post by psh »

thank you everyone for your responses - they confirmed what I was thinking. Normally I would just experiment and learn from the process unfortunately this piece is being donated to a cancer benefit and I need to have it ready by this weekend! Thank you!