Buying a new kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Pat K.

Buying a new kiln

Post by Pat K. »

Hi Everyone,

I've decided to buy a new kiln and have narrowed down my choices to the Pearl22 (Paragon), Skutt Clamshell and the Evenheat Studio Pro 24. Does anyone have a preference for one over the other and why. Thanks to anyone who is willing to give me some advice. Stay warm.

Patty
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
linn keller

Re: Buying a new kiln

Post by linn keller »

patty,
hi! i wasn't sure what parameters you used to narrow down your choices.
so let me offer you another possibility, similar to what you have listed but a tad larger and brand new from paragon, the Clamshell 26FR. it has full fiber roof, elements in quartz tubes, mercury relays, and a bunch of other things. bob paterson worked with paragon to develop this kiln and you can drop him an email here: GlassMakerTX@gmail.com to find out more.
i know you didn't list this possibility for inclusion but it's brand new and sounds like a great set of things going for it, so if it's something you'd consider....maybe yes, maybe no, but you choose.
fyi, i have a paragon 22gl that i love, as well as as kilns from skutt, evenheat and denver (all acquired used).
i hope you have a long happy relationship with whichever kiln you choose.
linn
p.s. i do know i didn't answer your question and just stirred the "selection pot" mixing it up more, but if what has just become available meets your needs better, i wanted you to know about it.
linn
linn in deep deep south texas
Pat K.

Post by Pat K. »

Thanks for all of the info Linn. I'll definitely check it out as I want to take my time since I have to wait for my son to move the 220 line, but first we need to wait on the weather. 8)
Patty

It often shows a command of language to say nothing - author unkown.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I read Lynn's suggested and googled the Paragon 22GL. The skutt clamshell costs about 30% less than the paragon 22gl. If it was available back in the day (I've had my skutt for about 14 years) I'd have spent the money for the paragon 22gl. I've had issues with the Skutt elements moving around. But Skutt customer service has been great. The design improvements on the Paragon are significant in my opinion. The paragon looks ike it has all the goodies that a Nabertherm clamshell has.....but from a domestic manufacturer. I'd like to hear Brad's impression.
Bob Paterson

Post by Bob Paterson »

There is a lot of progress being made in US manufactured kilns for glass with engineering them from a glassmaker’s perspective instead of just modifying ceramics kilns.