Respirator storage - WarmGlass.com

Respirator storage

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Tony Smith, Brad Walker

Don Burt

Respirator storage

Postby Don Burt » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:46 pm

The frit dust thread reminded me of a question I wanted to ask. Where do you store your respirator? It kind of wierds me out to put it in a sealed plastic storage bag that the manufacturer provides. It's not the most sanitary thing after I've worn it for a couple hours. And why seal it in a bag along with all the nastyness you've accumulated in the filters? I hang it on a hook in the studio, and when I think of it I clean the inside with alcohol on a cotton ball.

Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Respirator storage

Postby Brad Walker » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:54 pm

We take the pink cartridges off the mask and put them in a plastic bag. I've read that if you don't do that the cartridges will not last as long because they pick up particles from the air.

Greg Rawls

Re: Respirator storage

Postby Greg Rawls » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:58 am

Get a ziplock bag for a respirator. Particulate cartridges ("pink") just need to be kept clean for sanitation reasons. If you have a chemical cartridge (usually black for organic vapor), it is very important to keep it in a seal bag as the activated charcoal in the cartridge will readily pick up vapors and reduce cartridge life.
Greg

Return to “Techniques and Tools”