Sandblasting query

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

frizzygirl

Sandblasting query

Post by frizzygirl »

Hi

I recently invested in a sandblaster and am addicted. I would like to sandblast a design on a piece of glass (either float or very light bullseye) to use as a splashback for the hob in the kitchen. I have searched the internet for ways to attach it to the wall and realise the background needs to be white but wonder if the design will be lost due to the adhesive filling the slight indent of the sandblasting as the design in in the centre of the panel with clear glass around it.

Also do I need to prefuse the glass to soften the top edges?

If anyone has done something like this and can give me a few pointers please, I would be very grateful.

Tracey
Greg Rawls

Re: Sandblasting query

Post by Greg Rawls »

If you blast the design on the back it will probably fade away especially when you apply mastic. Run an experiment and see. Firing to soften the edges is a good idea, but not necessary. When I make tiles I spray the back with white primer to hide the mastic and apply just like any other tile.
Greg
frizzygirl

Re: Sandblasting query

Post by frizzygirl »

Thanks Greg, I will try the primer spray on the back to see if that helps.