FIRING SCHEDULES / GRAHAM STONE

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Havi

FIRING SCHEDULES / GRAHAM STONE

Post by Havi »

Hi everybody
I am re-firing a piece which thermal shocked on me.
I neglected to realize that the piece, already fused before , was quite thick in its middle - and I should slow the firing... So I found in the kiln 5 pieces instead of one.
I found this out at a relatively early stage, so I stopped the firing altogether. I had on it powder which had not yet been fired.

- - - - -
Now I am re-firing this piece , with another piece with similar thickness, which is about 5/8" thick.

I go up very conservatively now, at a rate of 95 dph 35 Celsius. [Even though Graham Stone recommends 160F dph, 90 Celsius]

The question is up to what temp. should I go like this??? Is it at all the optimal slowness???
I looked at Graham Stone's tables, he has an interim temp. of 490F up to which you go real slow, and then - you can increase the rate, from 160 dph to 205 dph????

Has anyone ever tried this change in temp. before reaching 1000F? it makes a shortcut, but doesn't it also break the glass???

Many thanks,

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com