Enamels or paints for leaded crystal glass?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mia M

Enamels or paints for leaded crystal glass?

Post by Mia M »

I wonder how others have painted leaded crystal...and if a permanent form of enamel or glass paint is even possible in such a low temperature firing range. Perhaps, I am limited to the realm of "craft" style paints?...
Last edited by Mia M on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Burt

Re: Enamels or paints for leaded crystal glass?

Post by Don Burt »

Does the paint need to have transparency, or are you just applying black line work or opaque color?
Mia M

Post by Mia M »

Hi Don,

I would like something that replicates the range and opacity of glass enamels as closely as possible. Definitely using color; would prefer the paints to be more on the opaque side rather than transparent.
Last edited by Mia M on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

This stuff is sold by Rio Grande
http://www.rbcepoxy.com/index.cfm/page/ ... /pid/10257

I bet it would have some traits that were superior in durability to fired-on class coating systems. But it would probably have some traits that are less desirable too. An epoxy paint like this would last lifetimes in a interior displayed artwork. If the color system is durable pigments, then the colors wouldn't fade over the years. But I don't know their color system. You could ask. (and tell us what you learn :))
Mia M

Post by Mia M »

This is a very intriguing idea; thank you, Don. I appreciate your suggestion; I'll certainly look into this more.