Stainless mold shallow enough to slump INTO?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marian P.

Stainless mold shallow enough to slump INTO?

Post by Marian P. »

I have a 17" round stainless steel mold that is 2 1/2" deep. Is this shallow enough to slump INTO without having issues from different rates of contraction?
This is what I am wanting to slump...
smaller file.jpg
Rick Wilton

Re: Stainless mold shallow enough to slump INTO?

Post by Rick Wilton »

You can "almost" always get away with slumping INTO a Stainless mold. The "rule" of not slumping into stainless is one of those rules that the rule maker never actually tried.

Unless it has some intricate design which stainless never has, the glass should always come out easily. The glass can get trapped if the mold is super steep but you'd never get your glass to slump properly in that type of mold anyway.
Rick Wilton
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Stainless mold shallow enough to slump INTO?

Post by Brad Walker »

Rick Wilton wrote:You can "almost" always get away with slumping INTO a Stainless mold. The "rule" of not slumping into stainless is one of those rules that the rule maker never actually tried.
The "almost" in quotes is the key word. If I hunt around I can probably find a photo of a glass piece stuck in a stainless mold. If you want to try it, just get one of those molds from Ikea with steep sizes and slump away.

You're right though, that you can "almost" always get away with slumping into stainless molds that are shallow (like Marian's) or that have sides that aren't steep. We do it pretty frequently, just not in an Ikea bowl with steep sides.