Should I switch to System 96?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

gregvr

Should I switch to System 96?

Post by gregvr »

I spent a while going through the archives, and couldn't find a good answer to this question, so I'm asking it here.

I'm starting to run out of materials, and so I was going to do an inventory and buy some more glass. All of my stuff is COE90-- lots of Bullseye, some Wissmach. However, I recently had a quick trip to Slumpy's in NC and was surprised that they didn't have much COE90.

I asked, and was told that "they weren't seeing much call for it" and "were planning on phasing it out" and "check for some closeout sales soon!"

I hadn't been keeping up with all of the shifts in the art glass manufacturing market, so reading about the recent closings and sales and mergers was surprising...

But fundamentally... should I start switching over to System 96 compatible? It'll be a pain in my workshop to segregate, but if I'm going to have to do it eventually, I guess I'd rather do it sooner.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Should I switch to System 96?

Post by Brad Walker »

It sounds like Slumpy's is talking about their inventory, not the world outside of their store. Slumpy's used to carry only Spectrum, then they carried both Spectrum and Bullseye, now they're evidently getting rid of the Bullseye they carry and carrying something else.

Spectrum has gone through (and continues to go through) some major changes in the last few years. For starters, the company went out of business. They sold the rights to the glass (and the name!) to another company -- Oceanside Tile -- that has set up an operation in Mexico and has begun to make Spectrum-branded glass for sale in the US. The jury is still out on whether or not that glass will be the same as the old Spectrum or even exactly what the product line will contain.

Bullseye, by contrast, has not gone out of business and has no plans to do so. They continue to make glass in the same factory in Oregon they've had for decades. It's definitely not being phased out.

Again, sounds like the folks at Slumpy's were talking about their own plans for carrying Bullseye, not the larger market. I have heard rumors that Slumpy's is planning on bringing in glass from China to replace or supplement what they currently carry, did you ask them about that?

As for buying Bullseye in this area, I do have one suggestion. Take a trip up to the Warm Glass studio in Clemmons (outside Winston-Salem). We carry the full line of Bullseye Glass and our big sale is coming up this month as well.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

"90" Bullseye has been the only reliable constant in the past few years. They support the art glass industry with research, competitions, publications, communication, etc. etc. I think your source is bogus!! The future of "96" is still a crap shoot!
"The Glassman"
Judd

Post by Judd »

1) First of all, while this is all true about Bullseye, I found their representatives to be exceedingly arrogant, rude and obnoxious. A long time ago I decided to make art with 96 rather than put up with unprofessional behavior. Considering the posts for incompatibility/ devitrification/ etc. I have read on this board, I don't regret that decision.
2) That said, an artist can make art with anything. If you choose 90 or 96 or float, it's only the medium. You're the artist. You, not the glass, make the art.
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Judd wrote:1) First of all, while this is all true about Bullseye, I found their representatives to be exceedingly arrogant, rude and obnoxious. A long time ago I decided to make art with 96 rather than put up with unprofessional behavior. Considering the posts for incompatibility/ devitrification/ etc. I have read on this board, I don't regret that decision.
2) That said, an artist can make art with anything. If you choose 90 or 96 or float, it's only the medium. You're the artist. You, not the glass, make the art.

Well said.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Judd wrote:1) First of all, while this is all true about Bullseye, I found their representatives to be exceedingly arrogant, rude and obnoxious. A long time ago I decided to make art with 96 rather than put up with unprofessional behavior. Considering the posts for incompatibility/ devitrification/ etc. I have read on this board, I don't regret that decision.
I have had nothing but positive encounters, encouragment and friendly support from Bullseye in the approximately 20 years that I've been using their glass.
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

Marty wrote:
I have had nothing but positive encounters, encouragment and friendly support from Bullseye in the approximately 20 years that I've been using their glass.
Likewise.

Jim
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

If it wasn't for Boyce helping to set up Oceanside, there'd be no 96 being made today. Either way you are using Bullseye glass science but only Bullseye is truly Bullseye.
Barry Kaiser

Post by Barry Kaiser »

Kevin,
Boyce died in 2012. Oceanside started making 96 in 2016.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Yes, that is true Barry, but Boyce helped to start Oceanside and without him it would not have been around to make 96.
I remember him talking about the project.
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-h ... story.html
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Marty wrote:
Same here. The level of customer support I've received over the past 17 years has been stellar. I'm a proud user and supporter of made-in-America Bullseye glass. Bullseye will continue to be the leader in quality art glass production because of their commitment to testing, adapting, and expanding their product, and also their dedication to artists using it. :D
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

While I guess you could say "the future of 96 is uncertain", it is still widely available. There isn't any rush at the moment to begin switching out studio inventory.

I love the BE folks, too, but I work with System 96 because it traditionally was more readily available, and I don't want to carry two (actually 3, if you count float) lines of glass in my limited work space.

Dana W.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

The simple answer to the original question is No
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

To OP - I find there to be lots of COE 90 out there. Slumpy's isn't the only place to buy - they are generally cheaper than say Delphi, but then again, D & L often beats both of them. If you save your pennies and make a bigger order direct from Bullseye, like at the point($700?) where it goes to 50% discount, no retailer can touch those prices.
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.