Glues and silicones

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

FusedLightStudio

Glues and silicones

Post by FusedLightStudio »

Interested in recommendations regarding glues and silicones for the following use cases:
1-Assemblage of small, clear glass pieces (e.g. a sculpture composed of different kinds of glasses that aren’t compatible for fusing). I have used Loctite glass glue. It dries clear, stays clear, is fairly strong but I wouldn’t use it for larger pieces. I’ve heard that UV glue is preferable but don’t know what brand.
2-Adhering clear glass permanently to another surface (e.g. glass onto ceramic or vice versa). I’ve used two-part JBWeld clear epoxy, but the company told me it will yellow over time.
3-Repair broken glass. UV glue? If so what kind? I’ve tried Bondix but it did not stay clear. Kevin recommended Lepages 100% glue.
4-Adhere kilncarved transparent glass to another piece of glass for display. Silicone seems logical but I had a heck of a time making a consistent bead.
5-Adhering images printed on paper to glass. I’ve tried acrylic gel medium with mixed results.
6-Adhering glass temporarily to a wall (as in an installation for a month). Silicone can be removed with vinegar (I think), so that seems reasonable. I tried glue dots but they are not strong enough.
7- Securing large glass in a frame (similar to a mirror, as a secondary hold, in addition to staples). CRL silicone was highly recommended by a local glass shop.
8- Bails on glass pendants. I have used E6000 and JBWeld two-part, but at least one of them (maybe both) failed after exposure to heat (sitting in a hot car). I know I should probably ask this in the Jewelry forum but, now that I have your attention...
Lisa Schnellinger
Atlanta, GA
JenniferB

Re: Glues and silicones

Post by JenniferB »

You might find this information useful.
https://conservationsupportsystems.com/ ... ar-epoxies
FusedLightStudio

Thanks, Jennifer. I was only familiar with Hxtal as advertised on the Hang Your Glass page - this is a much better explanation. Had not tried it because it’s so expensive, but this information convinces me it’s worth a shot.
Lisa Schnellinger
Atlanta, GA
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

check out www. Panacol-USA , I have used a lot of their adhesives with great success. They even have some of my applications shown on their website. They make a lot of different adhesives depending upon your application. They used to be called Tangent Industries but were merged with a European company.
FusedLightStudio

Tom Fuhrman wrote:check out www. Panacol-USA , I have used a lot of their adhesives with great success. They even have some of my applications shown on their website. They make a lot of different adhesives depending upon your application. They used to be called Tangent Industries but were merged with a European company.
Thanks, Tom! Another site with a wealth of information.

Have to ask what your favorite is for glass-to-glass bonding.
Lisa Schnellinger
Atlanta, GA
JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

Here's a series of videos on Hxtal made by the Hisglassworks people.

https://www.hisglassworks.com/support/a ... glass.html
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

Lots of architecture glass is being fabricated with two-part silicone . Bohle gives demos of the technique from time to time at AGG and SGAA conferences. They have You Tube videos. Looks pretty fussy to me. Never tried it.
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

Lisa, it depends on where the piece is to be used and what type of joint is involved. For outdoor usage, I preferred Panacol VBB-1. for some interior pieces I used 6108 with good success.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Lisa, be careful using adhesive on mirror backs. Many adhesives will destroy the mirroring so be sure to choose one that won't. I've forgotten the North American one I used to use. Glass installers use a particular brand that won't harm the mirroring. I'm sure that information is readily available from any glass shop.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Lepages 100% glue has mirror applications listed. It isn't an instant grab glue so support during curing is needed