Light weight Kiln Shelf

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

smallbitz

Light weight Kiln Shelf

Post by smallbitz »

Hi All,
I'm looking for a lighter weight kiln shelf NOT cordierite -have that already. I know that Bert Weiss has mentioned some HD fiberboard shelves he gets somewhere. Does anyone know his source? I know he has posted it before, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Thanks!!
DonMcClennen

Re: Light weight Kiln Shelf

Post by DonMcClennen »

Suggestion; consider vermiculite board.. available from Bullseye.. not damaged at easily as fibre... I am using the same one 24"x 40" for over 10years.
Don
"The Glassman"
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

You might also try the Armstrong Ceiling tile that Warm Glass sells, it is light weight and fairly durable.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Armstrong Ceramaguard ceiling tiles are usable BUT they can heat warp, dent easily and also break easily enough when picked up 'wrong'. A regular kiln shelf will stay flatter, won't dent and won't break easily when picked up. My take is to use the regular kiln shelf and accept your kiln firing will use more energy. the 2'x4' size tempted me to try them.
smallbitz

Post by smallbitz »

Thanks all for your recommendations. I think I found what I'm looking for in the Armstrong Ceramaguard. My issue wasn't energy, it was weight. I need a large shelf to work on outside the kiln that doesn't need to hold too much weight, that I can then easily transport a short distance to my large kiln. I think the Ceramaguard will do the trick.

Thanks much!
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Check out building recycling sources for the tiles but of course when you look for them, the little identifying marking on the back may be covered in grease from the chicken fry restaurant they inevitably were removed from. :lol:
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

I would only use Ceramaguard as a small shelf, not a large one. And it's actually best used to build small pieces on (square foot or less) and transport to the kiln, where I'd put them on a regular shelf or on LOTS of posts for support. It's not really feasible as a large kiln shelf, but it's easy to transport small pieces. It takes kiln wash or thinfire.

If I needed a larger shelf, either use vermiculite board (which is still heavy, though not as much as cordierite), or fiber board. Fiber board is fairly easy to find from refractory suppliers and some kiln manufacturers. It's definitely lighter, but it doesn't take kiln wash (need to use thinfire), and if you're not careful it can be scraped or marred. The HD version (high density) is sturdier, but isn't indestructible. And finally, fiber board is carcinogenic, so you have to handle it carefully.
Nikki ONeill

Post by Nikki ONeill »

I've used the high density vermiculite board in my GL 44 kiln for about 10 years. The board measures about 19 X 40", 1" thick, and kilnwashed. Hasn't warped yet. Originally sourced from Skamol (HD 60 as I recall) but now available from Bullseye. For smaller work, I elevate it on the sides of firebricks, to get a more even heat.
Happy fusing!