Kiln electrical question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Doug Zawodny

Kiln electrical question

Post by Doug Zawodny »

My current set up is a 240 volt line with 2 30 amp fuses. I guess that means the circuit is 60 amps. My new Olympic calls for a 45 amp. fuse. My question is can I safely run the new kiln on the 60 amp or do I need to install a 45amp fuse? Thanks in advance for any help.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Kiln electrical question

Post by Brad Walker »

You want it on the 60 amp. Don't install a 45 amp fuse, the fuse needs to be at least 10% (15% to 20% is better) higher than the what the kiln draws. So if a kiln draws 45 amps, a breaker of 60 amp is what you want.
Doug Zawodny

Post by Doug Zawodny »

thank you!
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

I thought the fuse was to protect the wiring not the appliance.

However, if the original setup was correct with a 60 amp fuse on a 4 awg wire then downgrading to a 45 amp fuse would be OK. But the reverse would be dangerous; replacing a 45 amp fuse on 6 awg wire with a 60 amp fuse.

I suppose you could put a second (45 amp) fuse at the kiln that is on a 60 amp/4 awg line.

Jim "The Hobbyist"
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg
Dick

Post by Dick »

2 30 amp fuses DOES NOT equal 60 amps. It equals 30. For a 60 amp circuit you need either 2 60 amp fuses or a double pole 60 amp breaker. The wire would be #6 gauge copper. Anything less and you risk a fire if you require 60 amps