Flat Lap

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

jim burchett

Flat Lap

Post by jim burchett »

I have recently seen several small 25cm potter's wheels for sale recently cheap,. Thinking these could easily bevrepurposed into a flat lap. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks.
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Tom Fuhrman

Re: Flat Lap

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

I saw those advertisements as well and thought the same as you. I know of people in the past that have used larger ceramic throwing wheels as lap wheels after converting them. the magnetic diamond discs might be a challenge to use on these as I think the top surface is aluminum so it would require some customization with a steel top surface. Go for it and let us know how it works out.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Arrowmont in Tennessee had a potter's wheel that had been converted to a lap wheel. They had an iron disk laminated on top of the aluminum surface. Worked fine last time I was there, several years ago.
Terry Gallentine

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I have thought about this too. I assume that the RPM of the pottery wheels is slower than that of the flat lap grinders. Does that make a significant difference?
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

I just ordered one. I'll let you know the outcome. Total was $36.79.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Tom Furman, I ordered 1 too I was thinking that some small powerful magnets silicone to the aluminum might be enough for a steel diamond disc. What were your thoughts on a usablevdisc?
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
Terry Gallentine

Post by Terry Gallentine »

You might try applying a ferrous sheet to the aluminum base disc for the magnetic grinding discs to stick to. I found a site for the ferrous sheet material. It is: https://us.first4magnets.com/ferrous-ma ... tapes-t174
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

How about this...probably not the strongest attraction, but may be enough with all the surface area of the grinding disk.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-24759 ... ooghydr-20
Lynn Perry
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

Really good double faced tape will hold a steel disc on the aluminum. We used to use the tape to hold things down when we were doing milling on a good sized milling machine and it held. It might be worth a try to use some waterproof Gorilla glue or some good silicone.
I'm just hoping that one of these will appear at my doorstep some time. Apparently shipping from Wufeng province China. Anyway, paid with Paypal so $ should be safe if it never shows up.
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Update, I received a. Package from China today that is from who responded to my order. Instead of a Potter's Wheel, I got an imitation Gold ring....whoopee!
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

It's a subtle trick. There's a shortage of brides in China so that's a sublimal proposal. Think very carefully before you accept. :?
Tom Fuhrman

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

I ordered and received a hair barrette, I will pursue it further. In the mean time my wife gave me a battery powered potters wheel she had bought years ago and never opened. Bought thru Hobby Lobby and can be run off a 6V transformer . Haven't tried it yet, but that item was $24 when purchased so the cost we were quoted could be possible. going thru my boxes looking for a 6V transformer .
Lynn Perry

Post by Lynn Perry »

China is interesting. A couple of years ago I ordered some round pendant blanks and got oval ones. Last year I ordered some different metal findings and could only use about half due to permanent tarnishing and poor metal finishing. I just ordered several items which are supposed to ship within six days and then take 6 weeks of shipping time. I paid via PayPal and am going to request a refund if there is a similar problem again.

Why do I do this? I hate to pay a reseller $2 for something I can directly order for 20 cents with free shipping. So like you bargain-hunting lap grinders, I am slogging on with jewelry findings. I don't have much else to do since Covid is keeping me home, and my workshop is closed for the winter. Sad to say, but China is becoming my source of amusement.
Lynn Perry
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

Just to update on this Tom immediately, and I after a bit of explanation have both received full refunds..Thank You Paypal.