Sunshine mixing flux

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

DonMcClennen

Sunshine mixing flux

Post by DonMcClennen »

Question for Brad.. Around 10 years ago I visited your studio/store in NC and I purchased over a dozen sunshine enamels. I am just now trying them out.. I have a good range of colours .. but it seems I chose "mixing flux" thinking it was white. This will limit my mixing pastels.. What is "mixing flux" used for? I am impressed with the rich colours in my sample test fires.. Will multiple firings dilute the results?
I would appreciate it if you could answer these 2 questions.. Thanks, Don
"The Glassman"
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Sunshine mixing flux

Post by Brad Walker »

MIxing flux is clear, not white.

It has two main purposes. You can add it to any color to get that color to shine up at a lower temperature. For example, the greens often are a little dull at 1350F, but adding a little mixing flux will get them to shine up at that lower temperature.

Secondarily, the mixing flux can be used as a clear coat over the glass.

To create pastel shades and pinks and such, you need white. Just add it to the shade you'd like to lighten.

And finally, the colors do not get duller with multiple firings, they stay bright. My wife, Jody Danner Walker, has fired some of her pieces a dozen or more times with very good results. That's probably the main reason she uses them, they're not dull at all.

Lots of examples of the colors on Jody's site, here are a few: https://jodydannerwalker.com/yellowstone/