glasses for kiln work

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

blenderbender

glasses for kiln work

Post by blenderbender »

Is there a 'best' shaded glasses for kiln work? Or is it just a matter of preference. As I was led to believe years ago, flame working glasses aren't the proper way to go, or was I misled? I've tried everything from welder's cutting goggles, and many different shade of sunglasses, and nothing allows me to see what I need to see with any amount of precision. I very much prefer the brightest, hottest kiln inside to be able to see what's going on with the glass. Am I being really, really stupid? :roll:
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: glasses for kiln work

Post by Brad Walker »

You need glasses that block infrared radiation. That's welder's glass, shade 2 to 3, you're probably wearing something much darker than that.

Medical supply houses also sell glasses that block infrared, as well as most fused glass suppliers and distributors.

You don't know didymium glasses (lampworking) or sunglasses (polarized or not) -- the won't block infrared.
blenderbender

Re: glasses for kiln work

Post by blenderbender »

Thanks Brad... gotta go glasses shopping!