PID temperature controllers

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

blenderbender

PID temperature controllers

Post by blenderbender »

I bought a "Plug & Play" PID temperature controller (non ramping model) to use with a small test kiln which just has an infinite switch. I realize all these inexpensive PID's are not exactly the same, but from what I've noticed they share a lot of setup similarities, such as display, parameter settings, navigating menus, etc. I've spent a good bit of energy trying to setup an audible alarm as all they have built in is an LED on the display. Believe me, these things are not "Plug & Play" unless you're an engineer with at least a modest comprehension of how they operate. Parameter menus, sub-menus, etc. which themselves are not easy to navigate through. Even if you can manage to navigate, the parameter symbols are pretty much Greek to me, except for quite basic ones. And the included manual isn't a lot of help. Long story short, I have finally, after many attempts at wiring in the alarm (I was fed mis-information by both the seller and another I reached out to on another forum), and =D> the alarm sounds upon temperature rise at the preset. Upon triggering the alarm, to shut it off I need to change the set-point to a value it won't reach which is easy enough. The next trick in a row is trying to set the alarm as the kiln cools to a preset (anneal). Seems there is another parameter in there with a value I need to change.... like probably change a zero to a 1 or something similar. If anyone out there has a clue what it is I need to change I'd surely appreciate the help!
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: PID temperature controllers

Post by Brad Walker »

I'm no good to you, last time I tried to use one of those "Plug & Play" controllers I never could get it to work. If Tony Smith comes by the board he might be able to help, or you could try Brad Shute at handmade-glass.com
blenderbender

Re: PID temperature controllers

Post by blenderbender »

Thanks Brad.... I'll give Brad a shout (the other Brad).