Graham Stone

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Marty

Graham Stone

Post by Marty »

It struck me, as I was once again looking up something in Stone's "Firing Schedules", that I know nothing about the man. The Rakow Library in Corning had very little. Does anyone here know anything and is willing to share? I'll be asking HIS and BE too, will try Richard Whitely too.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Graham Stone

Post by Brad Walker »

I would imagine Richard Whiteley knows him. I know that Brock once told me he had slept on Graham's couch, so he must have known him as well.

As for me, I have spoken to Graham several times on the telephone, back in the early 1990's, trying to get permission to print his book in the US. They were bizarre conversations -- he was adamant that not a word of the book be changed, even the page size (the standard Australian paper size is not the same as the US letter size). In the end I agreed to everything he asked for (I think that much of the book). We would agree on the phone, but he would never agree in writing. That happened several times over several years (and a number of back-in-those-days expensive phone calls). I never did get written permission to re-print the book.

While teaching in Australia about a decade ago, I tried to arrange a visit with Graham but was told he didn't want visitors. A shame, because I respect his knowledge immensely and probably learned more about fusing from him than from anyone else.

At any rate, that's the extent of my personal contact (or non-contact) with Graham. I heard other things, all of which may or may not be true. I've heard that he taught at a university in Australia (Melbourne, I think), that he suffered some sort of personal tragedy (involving a daughter, I think), had a breakdown of some sort and left the university job. I've also heard that he spend 20 years writing his book, that he spend 10 years writing the book, that he was involved in starting the first Ausglass (Australian Association of Glass Artists) conference, and that Bullseye wanted him to talk at one of their conferences and he turned them down.

That's all hearsay, all I know for sure is that "Firing Schedules for Glass" should be in the library of anyone who's serious about working with a kiln.
Havi

Post by Havi »

Thanks for the info. Brad

I bought his book from Aussi. paid 150$ . But happy I got it. It was before you printed the 2d edition.

Thanks a lot,

Havi
And regards to you Marty! how are you??
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Marty

Post by Marty »

Doing well, thanks, Havi. Enjoying Maine and my new studio.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Way back in the day, I posted a question, about fusing 3 layers of 12mm float, and getting grapefruit sized bubbles, in the corner. Within a few minutes, Graham posted a good answer, which was don’t heat hot enough to get to bubble blowing viscosity (1450ºF). As far as I am aware, that was the last time he participated.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions