Paragon Pearl 22 - where are the feet located?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Susie sargent

Paragon Pearl 22 - where are the feet located?

Post by Susie sargent »

Hi Pearl 22 owners! Can someone please tell me where the feet are located on the kiln? I want to understand the weight distribution as I'm trying to find an appropriate table or stand - without paying $1000+ for Paragon's recommended stand, which is 32" x 32" while the kiln is 32" x 37". (I believe the front of the built-in kiln stand is intended to overhang the metal stand.) I might weld my own stand. Thanks for any suggestions! - Susie
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Paragon Pearl 22 - where are the feet located?

Post by Brad Walker »

There should be four rubber feet at the bottom corners of the kiln. The front ones are just inside the panel that juts out.

For my Pearl 22's -- and at one time I had five of them -- I didn't buy the overpriced stand from Paragon. I built my own stands out of plywood and 2 x 4's. Yes, plywood. Never had an issue with heat, even when one of the kilns malfunctioned and went to 2400F. The wood was fine, the paint on it didn't even blister, so the most of the heat stays in the kiln. I had nothing on the wood other than the paint and the kiln, but if you are nervous (I don't think there's a reason to be) you could put large ceramic tiles on top of the wood.

Building the wooden stand was very simple (and I'm not a carpenter). I cut a 4 x 8 piece of 3/4" plywood in half and separated the two halves by building a frame with the 2 x 4's. I used deck screws to hold everything together. You can also put wheels on the bottom if desired, or use smaller pieces of plywood if you wish (but I liked having the extra storage space). And you can cut the 2 x 4's to the right height for you, rather than the height of the Paragon stand.

Of course if you can weld (I can't) you can probably build something even better.
Susie sargent

Re: Paragon Pearl 22 - where are the feet located?

Post by Susie sargent »

Brad, thanks a bunch for taking the time to share all these details. It's a really big help.
Susie