Face Shields for Combing Glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michele-MD

Face Shields for Combing Glass

Post by Michele-MD »

Hi, I need to purchase a face shield for eye safety while combing at 1700 degrees. I have a gold one and am wondering whether additional eye protections is needed. I have seen that you can purchase the gold coated ones with an inside green coating. I also wonder whether wearing didymium glasses with the face shield is recommended? And finally, whatever the right answer is, one has to also be able to sort of see what they are doing and I am reluctant to order something and find out that I can't see didlysquat through it. Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Face Shields for Combing Glass

Post by Brad Walker »

If it's this kind of gold shield it will reflect most of the infrared radiation and you won't need anything else: https://www.americancrematory.com/produ ... ield-gold/

Didymium safety glasses will not protect you from infrared radiation, they're made to block UV rays and sodium flare, not infrared. So don't use them to look in the kiln.

Aside from the gold shield, if you need something else, get glasses that block infrared in shade 3 or shade 2.5. Some welding supply places have them, most glass distributors will have them also.
Michele-MD

Re: Face Shields for Combing Glass

Post by Michele-MD »

Thanks, Brad. That is like the one I have. Wanted to get one for the Art Glass Center and when I saw you can order them with a green shade on the inside started to wonder if that was a better choice. I like the idea of separate glasses.