Hot-Line Shelf primer issue and high temp advice?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Michele-MD

Hot-Line Shelf primer issue and high temp advice?

Post by Michele-MD »

Been doing a lot of combing lately at 1700 degrees. Been using BE kilnwash, at least 9-10 coats, and there have been a couple of times the BE kiln wash has completely stuck to the glass and, in two cases, the glass then stuck to the shelf and cracked. I am also finding that sometimes it can be near to impossible to get the remainder of the kiln wash off the shelves. Some years ago when I was boiling glass I started using Hot-Line instead of BE primer because I read that it is better for high temperature firings. I decided to switch to the Hot-Line and see if it works better for combing. I coated one of the shelves and put it in to cure at 550 deg as it said on the container. In some areas the kiln just separated from the shelf and curled up. I must be doing something wrong? I put about 8 coats on the shelf as the wash seemed very thin though somewhere I read to apply 6 coats. I did not let it dry completely between each coat, is that the problem? And, as long as I am asking questions, is it accurate that one can just remove the wash with a wet sponge instead of scraping? Should the shelf be recoated each time it is fired? And, could my problem in removing the BE kilnwash be related to the shelf age or quality? I have found that shelves "get old" and are harder to scrape though these shelves are not that old. Thanks for any advice! Michele
Dick

Re: Hot-Line Shelf primer issue and high temp advice?

Post by Dick »

Never had much luck with hot line. I use BE in my high fires although I don't comb. Usually do 10-12 coats mixed 1 cup wash to 2 cups water. Occasionally I get some stickage, but never to the shelf and usually I am cold working anyway
Michele-MD

Re: Hot-Line Shelf primer issue and high temp advice?

Post by Michele-MD »

Wow, at 1 part kiln wash to 2 parts water that must be a very thick mixture!