Drill bit attachment

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bonnie Rubinstein

Drill bit attachment

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

Hi All,
A client who is across the country has to trim down a small section on the side of a wall piece I made for her.
Is there a way to have an Aanraku bit, which fits on a grinder, work on a hand held drill? There must be an adapter that will fit in her drill and will hold the bit (?)

Thanks!
Bonnie
Bonnie Rubinstein
AndyT

Re: Drill bit attachment

Post by AndyT »

You'd need a small steel rod with a flat side. The rod would go into the bit and then the allen screw would be used to tighten the bit to the rod. You could just find a diamond bit that is designed to fit in a drill. https://www.harborfreight.com/diamond-r ... M6EALw_wcB
Bonnie Rubinstein

Thanks, Andy.
I agree, and was going today to look for a rod or wooden dowel and cut it to use. I am surprised the bit manufacturers don't have such an adapter!
Bonnie Rubinstein
Mark Hughes

Post by Mark Hughes »

I use a cordless Dremel with a diamond bit from Harbor Freight, in a shallow pan of water. Cordless will keep her from getting shocked - water on bit and glass will keep it from heat shock.
Mark Hughes
Bonnie Rubinstein

Because this is smoothing down the side of 1/4" flat glass, I want it to be super easy for the client. That is why I am sending her a 1" diameter Aanraku grinding bit. Easier to control than a smaller bit. I am suggesting someone spray water on the glass as she grinds it down. (I will make her a video to watch how it is done).
Bonnie Rubinstein
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Bonnie Rubinstein wrote:Because this is smoothing down the side of 1/4" flat glass, I want it to be super easy for the client. That is why I am sending her a 1" diameter Aanraku grinding bit. Easier to control than a smaller bit. I am suggesting someone spray water on the glass as she grinds it down. (I will make her a video to watch how it is done).
Probably quicker to just take the piece to a flat glass shop and have them smooth it down on their wet belt sander.
Bonnie Rubinstein

client tried to do that- none in her area.

But this will work!
Attachments
IMG_2316.jpeg
Bonnie Rubinstein
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Sounds risky!! .. don't think I would trust client with no glassworking experience to "attempt" this. I can think of many possible errors> Must be some glass supplier in a reasonable distance.
"The Glassman"
Bonnie Rubinstein

I made a video for her, with explicit details. and she did it successfully!

She said she was artistic, so I had faith in her.

Thanks for the inputs!
Bonnie Rubinstein