how to use this glass cutting tool?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

docweathers

how to use this glass cutting tool?

Post by docweathers »

I have been digging out my glass cutting tools and I have one that I don't know how it works. I tried calling the manufacturer and they're out of business. Please tell me how it works
Attachments
DSC05468.JPG
Larry

Lawrence Weathers
Spokane WA

Thrown ceramics, welded art and now glass.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: how to use this glass cutting tool?

Post by Brad Walker »

Just a guess, but looks to me like one end is a glass cutter, used to score the glass, and the other end is a suction cup to keep the tool in place. Could be used for circle cutter or strip cutting or possibly both.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Brad Walker wrote:Just a guess, but looks to me like one end is a glass cutter, used to score the glass, and the other end is a suction cup to keep the tool in place. Could be used for circle cutter or strip cutting or possibly both.
Only if that cutting wheel swivels...
And speaking of swiveling wheels, why have a cutter head that swivels freely (Toyo)? I don't want my cutter wandering off to wherever it pleases. I 'adjust' mine to stay on the straight and narrow.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Swiveling cutter heads can be good to follow curved lines but the rest of the time it is a pain even if you follow Toyo's directions of tilting the cutter back.
Using a Thomas Grip cutter you can adjust the handle sizing such that you can hold your middle finger beside the head and get the best of both worlds swiveling and steadiness.
The middle finger beside the cutting head is the key to using it.
The fact it can come with a tap wheel cutter head is a bonus.
https://www.glassaccessories.com/artist ... percutter/
Marian

Post by Marian »

Thanks Kevin! I didn't know about guiding with your finger. Even from this old post. Guess I haven't been studying the Warm Glass board like I used to.
The Hobbyist

Post by The Hobbyist »

My guess is that it is intended to score radii for an already scored circle. Thus enabling you to remove a circle from within a sheet of glass.

Jim

ps. I don't believe it's a toothbrush.
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil—that takes religion. " Steven Weinberg