Shrinkage during fusing attemp

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

roykirk

Shrinkage during fusing attemp

Post by roykirk »

This is probably a simple newbie error, but I'd appreciate any advice. I'm not a complete stranger to kiln glass work, but I usually work with pot melts and have attempted fusing only a few times.

I was working with a single layer of small strips of COE 96 glass and was trying to fuse them using Slumpy's contour fusing schedule. I made sure all pieces were flush, but as you can see they all pulled away from the others and the entire piece fell apart during cleaning. Would a second layer on top have eliminated this problem or is it a temperature issue?
Attachments
image_6487327(20).JPG
AndyT

Re: Shrinkage during fusing attemp

Post by AndyT »

You would need to have them at least overlap or better yet on a clear base.
roykirk

Post by roykirk »

AndyT wrote:You would need to have them at least overlap or better yet on a clear base.
Thanks, that's what I was figuring. Next time I'll overlay with a clear piece.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

When fusing, the glass wants to be 1/4" thick.. If it is thinner (one layer 1/8") it will pull in.. If it is thicker eg: 3/8" it will spread out..You can control size dimensions by controlling thickness. Experience is a good teacher!!
"The Glassman"