Sandblast grit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

elenor

Sandblast grit

Post by elenor »

Can anybody recommend a supplier or silicon carbide 120 grit? Preferably in the South East?

Elenor
Elenor Conn
Tom Fuhrman

Re: Sandblast grit

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

I used to get mine from Salem Distributing, Winsto Salem, NC. It came i a 50lb. bucket. 800-234-1982
elenor

Post by elenor »

Thanks, I will give them a call.
Elenor Conn
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

were there not debates here in the distant past where you could get better results when firing glass by using Aluminum oxide grit and NOT carbide.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Kevin Midgley wrote:were there not debates here in the distant past where you could get better results when firing glass by using Aluminum oxide grit and NOT carbide.
Yes, several debates. Mostly they centered on a belief that sandblasting with silicon carbide is more likely to devitrify upon firing. The only "proof" I ever saw of this were photos taken under magnification that showed that the surface of the glass blasted with silicon carbide was more "pitted" than when blasted with aluminum oxide.

My experience is that I've used silicon carbide for over twenty years and have NEVER seen the devitrification problem that others have talked about. I don't know if it's because I clean better than the average bear (not very likely) or if there's something else explaining why others report devit and I don't see it.

I've opted to use silicon carbide instead of aluminum oxide for two reasons: first, it cuts faster; second, aluminum oxide can cause static electricity to build up in the cabinet, leading to the user being shocked while blasting.

I generally use 80 grit and add more to the cabinet from time to time. Because silicon carbide splits when it's used, 80 grit becomes 120 or finer grit over time. Using 120 instead of 80 will give you a little smoother finish, but the 120 won't last as long.
Marian

Post by Marian »

I got some on Amazon, even mailed Prime to Hawaii. Automotive shops have sandblasters, too, and will blast a piece for you if you are just getting rid of a scummy back or something coarse like that