Crystal Master Pro 12 Problem

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Jenny Dugmore

Crystal Master Pro 12 Problem

Post by Jenny Dugmore »

I have a Crystal Master Pro 12. Apart from a small leak that kept making the electrics switch off when I first bought 6 years ago it's worked reliably. Then yesterday it just stopped working when I was grinding a small piece of glass. The circuit breaker and fuse are OK.
The company I bought it from can't help and I don't have a wiring diagram. Does anyone know where I can a detailed manual/wiring diagram?
Also I've tried to get the outer case off to check the on-off switch is working OK, but can't remove the 12inch wheel that the magnetic griding pads are put on, so I can't take the case off. Can anyone advise me on how to remove the 12inch wheel? The two page leaflet that came with the grinder shows a small wheel attached by three screws, but my 12inch wheel has only a central hole with no visible screw head.
I'm in a panic because I'm supposed to finish some plates for sale in March and I need a working grinder! Many thanks
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Crystal Master Pro 12 Problem

Post by Brad Walker »

Jenny Dugmore

Post by Jenny Dugmore »

Thanks for the prompt response. I had tried contacting the European branch, based in the UK (which is where I am), but they
have closed - I could not even leave a message. I also tried contacting the US headquarters but the contact form does not work (the response I got each time I tried the form is attached). The web page does have a user manual, but it's the two page leaflet I already had. My contact at "His Glassworks" said the factory that produced the Crystal Master Pro 12 had burned down.
On the positive side I have managed to wrench the 12inch disk off using brute force, so have been able to unscrew and remove the 6inch magnetic disk and then remove the cover.
However I still don't have anything to help with the diagnosis and repair!
Thank you
Attachments
0_Screenshot_20220210-205126.png
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Check the fuse again with a testing meter. They can look good and be non functional.
If you can't check it, replace it.
Bet it is the fuse
Jenny Dugmore

Post by Jenny Dugmore »

Thank you for your prompt response. It's not the fuse though - I replaced the fuse (after I'd checked it wasn't the circuit breaker) and it made no difference.
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

Hi Jenny. I had one of these for quite a few years and had to replace the switch once. Assuming that your unit is the same machine as I had in the US, getting that base plate off was a bear, but I did it. As I recall, I grabbed the outer edge of the plate and laid my forearms on the plastic housing/cover to get some leverage, then I just pulled up on the plate edge until it started to lift. Once it started to move a little, I backed off and pulled it off.

I hope that makes sense! Easier done than explained.

Sharol
Jenny Dugmore

Post by Jenny Dugmore »

Hello Sharol - I found brute force worked for me as well. A neighbour (an electrician) then checked the in/off switch and the speed control, both are OK. I'm stuck now because nobody on the in the UK seems to be have heard of the Crystal Master Pro and I don't have either a detailed manual or wiring diagram. The fault seems to be in the circuit board. Thanks very much for the advice. Jenny
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

if it is circuit board controlling the variable speed motor that has gone, it might be possible to have an electrician safely wire up a rheostat like you can use to control a ceiling fan speed and on and off.
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

Jenny. I wasn’t sure if you had this part sheet. Maybe it can help? https://assets.abrasive-tech.com/litera ... mast12.pdf
Jenny Dugmore

Post by Jenny Dugmore »

Hi Sharol - many thanks for the suggestion about the circuit board being replaced by a rheostat. I'll pass the suggestion on to my neighbour electrician. Jenny
Jenny Dugmore

Post by Jenny Dugmore »

Oops, sorry Sharol and Kevin, I got your posts the wrong way round. I do have the parts leaflet, but it's really a wiring diagram or very detailed technical manual I was seeking. Thanks to both of you for your help.